Question about harvesting

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ganjaJeff, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Okay so why do people cut down the whole plant when it's time to harvest the buds?
    Wouldn't it be way better just to pick the nugs off of the live plant so it can like keep growing?

2. Autos will die and a photo plant wont keep growing buds but its possible to reveg her
    But once flower ends thats it

3. She wont keep making buds just like an appke tree wont keep making apples. The issue with reveg is it can take a long time for her to spring back to life

4. I cut mine as they are done, usually the biggest/top buds first. 

The lower buds will further develop after you take the top/biggest buds. 

5. In nature it's an annual life cycle. They grow, they flower, they die.

6. So once the flower is removed the plant will never again produce more flowers?

7. As far as I know it won't. Maybe it's possible to re-veg like Loki said but if it flowered anymore I'd imagine the quality would be terrible. The way to get the best harvest is to basically starve your plant at the end of flowering so I wouldn't try to recover the plant after that.

Most people take clones before flowering so they have a new generation with the exact same genetic makeup as the mother plant. This is the fastest way to harvest and get the next round flowering right away.

8. So when you harvest you should just rid of the entire plant? then u gotta start from seedling again?

Sent from my intergalactic spaceship

9. No you can reveg her and re flower her it may take a little less time then from seed to done to but you have to go back to atleaset a 18 6 schedule then wait a few weeks and start feeding her veg nutes as if she was young it will produce more growth and give more flowers but if your growing seeds as well the light will have to work for both babies and reveged so the light wont be on the seedlings as close as it could be

10. Wont take less time ive seen a plant take over a month to start revegging it causes an awful lot of stress too just take clones much quicker and easyier

11. Well I was talking about the next year even. Like if we just took the buds and left the plant she would still produce low quality buds next harvest season?

12. BTW im talking about a fully grown self supporting outdoor plant

13. #13 GoldGrower, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2015
    An outdoor plant can survive winter and start up again in spring if your winter isn't too cold. If it goes much below freezing its had it though. 

Growing indoors re-vegging is only worth doing as a last resort. Cloning before flowering is the best way to keep the plant. Even starting a new seed will be quicker than re-vegging. Hydro plants often don't do well when re-vegging because parts of the root stock can die and rot. In soil this isn't an issue

Most people harvest in one go, clean up, and get some new plants going. It's the most productive template. But wintering an outdoor plant may be worth doing I guess.. seeing as the room it takes up isn't a problem, it won't be using your lights, and the time it takes to re-veg isn't an issue

14. okay thanks!!!!