question about growing outdoors...

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Delilah01, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Hi, I'm planning on trying to grow a few plants this spring outdoors in a remote area. I was told they would do best if grown indoors for a few weeks before being set outside. Usually the last frost in my area is mid may so would it be ok to start the seeds in April? Or is that too early?
    And also would I be better off with autoflowering plants? Or is there no reason for them if your growing outside?
    I've read that deer can be an issue and there is a large deer population in my area... Is there any easy ways of preventing deer from eating your plants?
    Thanks for any answer :)

2. too early?
    that depends how big you can let them get before you struggle to transplant them.

starting seeds
    this really depends on the size you want them before you put them outside. the bigger the better as long as you won't have trouble transporting them

auto plants
    autos are great if you want them to flower early, even perhaps early summer and stay small. however for it to be worth it you need to plant plenty and you have to weed out the males

deer population
    to be honest if there is deer your not going to have it easy. I don't have any first hand experience with deer so I can't really help much but planting thorny plants around might help, it helps with rabbits and sheep. I hear about marking the area with predator scent such as human and dog piss but I have no idea how successful this is

3. If you start autoflowering plants in April, they will be halfway done by the time you put then outdoors in may. With an auto flowering plant there is really no reason to start them early indoors IMO. I only start early to get a head start and bigger plants. But autos will flower early no matter what and do best under the heavy summer sun. Starting the autos in may would be just fine.

If you want larger photoperiod plants, starting in April and moving out in may would be great.

4. For the deer problem, piss on nearby rocks. The rocks hold the scent longer than just pissing in the dirt. Also leave dog hair around the grow, and hang bars of Irish spring soap from nearby trees. They don't like the smell.

You can also tie fishing line around the grow from tree to tree or by using stakes to tie it too, and that makes an invisible fence that makes them go "what the fuck?".

5. I grew a crop of purple wreck in a deer infested field all I did was make a small fence out of chicken wire and bought some stuff called critter ridder (which I'm almost sure was just a big ass bottle of pepper) from a hardware store and put it all around the plants a few times

6. Hello, I am sorry for cutting in but Hey, I have two 400watt lights 1 mh and 1 hps . I wanted to know if it would help or hurt if I used booth lights at 12/12 for flowering would those extra lumens help or hurt

7. The two lights would be a great combo. Most people use HPS to flower under, but I've been reading lately about how MH lights have uv rays that make MJ plants grow more resin to protect themselves from it. So the MH would be a great addition. Good luck to you and to the OP.