question about growing next to a river/stream. need advice please

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by 6700, Dec 8, 2012.

1. this is just theoretical. if a plant is very near to a small river or stream, say <10 FT from the bank, does it need to be watered at all? is the soil wet enough from the river?

2. well your gonna want your soil to be able to dry out because cannabis likes to have drier soil. and having always wet soil during flowering promotes bud rot. The river water(considering it is the right pH) could be a good source of water for your plant. but i recommend buying a bag of Fox Farm Ocean Forest and filling up a 5 gallon bucket. then you could put it by the river and have a consistent water supply.

but dont get me wrong a few buddies of mine had a grow next to a river(around fifty plants) but animals were a problem and the plants ended up being mostly stem and leaf because the soil was inadequate for the plants. you could give it a shot, but i would recommend putting it in a pot with soil so you can maintain soil moisture. :peace:

3. cool, thanks. is too much water a problem? i guess i can control the amount of water in the soil by determining the distance from the river bank. i am not doing this any time soon, i just want to buy the materials and plan it out in advance.

4. to much water can be a problem because you may get root rot or bud rot. i would keep it so you have to water the plant(s) and so the soil can dry

5. Have a look at Eddro's SIP thread. I think you will find a lot of ideas over there that would be useful to plan a grow near a water source. Be careful to look at the area and how the water runs and drains in the area you could be washed out or flooded. Heavy mulch also is a good way to maintain a consistently moist root zone w/o being dripping wet.
    Check out the guys at Eddro's you'll love it.

6. you may have to dig a test hole to determine the water table. you won't be able to control the amount of water by distance. I live by no water, but yet the water table is 20 inches,the deeper the worst. Yet travel a mile,the water table is 7 feet deep. Keep your distance, 1 heavy rain and every plant could be gone in seconds.

7. ive done it with nylon rope to wick water up the bank.