Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

question about glass spoons and screens?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by choo, Mar 28, 2009.

1. iv used a few glass spoons over the years but today I went out and bought my own, no-one I know uses a screen of any type in their spoon but the cone-hole in mine is about 3x as thick as an average metal conepiece...

so now im getting a mouth full of weed haha, even packing a bowl some of my weed falls into the pipe chamber... what should I do? kinda seems like a waste to put a screen in this lovely piece!

will it get better over time with resin buildup? (though I like to clean my pieces regularly) or have I bought a dud?

2. it'll get better the more you pack it and get the bowl all black. Also, a glass screen is pretty cheap and doesn't look bad like a metal one does so grab one if you're still having a problem

3. Definitly get a screen. Looks come second to efficiency and getting high.

4. what ever u do, dont get a metal screen. They have glass screens, the two main types are ones that look like jacks, and the ones that have a straight pipe and look like a flower lol... I honestly like to put a chronic filter in tho.. Just put a small nug in the bottem of the bowl and if u pack it right you should never have any issues. I usualy only like glass filters for my bongs, and thats when i am packing snaps.

5. What's wrong with metal screens?

6. agreed

7. yes, what is wrong with metal screens?

8. #8 Sonymon, Mar 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2009

Metal Screens are bad because they burn up after enough use. Glass screens or stars are best but they are expensive and easy to loose.

My soultion. go outside and find a tiny rock just big enough to clog the hole. ive been doing this since the last time i lost my glass screen and i don't think ill ever buy another screen again. Rocks works amazingly, they're free, and if i loose it i just go outside and find another lol

Screens Value

Brass < Stainless Steel < Glass < Rock
    $0.25 $0.25 $2.99 Free!

9. Thanks. By burn up, you mean they get weak or you start inhaling crap?

10. I use a screen in my spoon...it is the same screen that has been in there for several years....There is nothing wrong with them....I also do not get a mouth full of ash....

11. #11 Sonymon, Mar 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2009

YES, lol you dont notice inhaling it but after some uses with the brass or stainless screens you will notice that the center starts to erode away from the screen. Where it goes... i'll let you decide. So just use glass if you wanna buy a screen. I find rocks work just as well as glass though. My friends all took the idea and all use rocks now too lol.

I have lost over 10 glass screens (10*2.99=30.00!!!)
    Then i thought of the rock idea.

12. Shit. Good to know. I'll check mine. Problem is, my pipes have the hole in the side and a rock would not stay there. Maybe I'll have to go with a glass one. I know with the metal ones, after enough resin has built up (as it is at the moment) I have to fight with it to get them out. These two pipes that I bought in Mexico have cylindrical bowls with a vertical cut though. Probably sticks better because of it...

13. I have never known anyone to put metal filters in glass... it sorta defeats the purpose alltogether.

14. Guys might call me crazy but I really havent see the glass screens you think you guys could post some pics?

15. I say get a pack of metal screens. They worked wonders for my old straight pipe.

16. I always use metal screens... Partly because whenever I get a new spoon they give me like 30 for free... So yeah =]

17. ok im gonna have to get me some metal screens.

and i dont see how having a metal screen in a glass piece defeats the purpose. If the purpose was to inhale ash and bits of weed, then yes, i would see how that defeats the purpose.

18. Of course if you use a brass/metal screen for a LOOONG time you run the risk of inhaling some metal particles....

But they are so cheap you can replace every couple weeks. Just remember to burn them hot before the first use. No worries.