Question about energy usage

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Argaha, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Where I live energy consumption and heat production are 2 of my biggest concerns as far as stealth growing go. As such I built a panel of T5 lights. There are (8) 6400K AgroMax 4ft T5 lights on a panel that is 2' X4' for a 40,000 lumen "wall of light". Im using this in a motherkeeper grow tent with wonderful results. My question is does anyone know how many watts im using? The fixtures (4 of them with 2 bulbs each) says 54 watts...but I dont know if that is per bulb or per fixture.

I want to set up a separate tent for Flowering and use (8) 3000K AgroMax 4ft T5 lights in there as well. However, I dont wanna overload my circuit breaker or anything like that. Funny thing since starting my indoor garden I have become extremely energy minded. Any info will help, thanks in advance.

2. on such a large scale Im pretty sure that youre better off using HID lamps than fluorescents, at least for flowering.

3. Well I been toying with the idea of using a 400 watt HPS as the top light and placing the T5's vertically in the corners of the tent for 40,000 lumens of light that would hit the plants from the side, lighting up the more shaded areas and lower branches.

4. #4 Argaha, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2013
    The other problem I'm facing is how to brin light to mid and lower branches... I must be doing something right the internode space is like an inch at max. Ive included some pics. Strain is Big Bang.

Attached Files:

5. #5 Doc-J, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
    [quote name='"Argaha"']Where I live energy consumption and heat production are 2 of my biggest concerns as far as stealth growing go. As such I built a panel of T5 lights. There are (8) 6400K AgroMax 4ft T5 lights on a panel that is 2' X4' for a 40,000 lumen "wall of light". Im using this in a motherkeeper grow tent with wonderful results. My question is does anyone know how many watts im using? The fixtures (4 of them with 2 bulbs each) says 54 watts...but I dont know if that is per bulb or per fixture.

I want to set up a separate tent for Flowering and use (8) 3000K AgroMax 4ft T5 lights in there as well. However, I dont wanna overload my circuit breaker or anything like that. Funny thing since starting my indoor garden I have become extremely energy minded. Any info will help, thanks in advance.[/quote]

If you are talking about t5ho lamps, each 4ft bulb uses 54w and should draw about .49 amps per bulb.

To determine load on your breaker, add up the wattage of everything running on the breaker, then divide by your voltage (110 most likely if in the US). For example if you run one 400w hps, and 8 54w bulbs you are running 832w. Take the 832 ÷ 110, and you are pulling roughly 7.56 amps. Circuits breakers will most likely be either 15amps or 20amps per breaker and will trip at around 80% Max. So with a 15amp breaker you can pull about 12amps without tripping the circuit.

6. Exactely what I was looking for TY so much!!