Question about Electric bill

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by citizendildo, May 5, 2009.

1. has anyone ever heard of the higher electricity bill associated with growing trigger any type of unwanted attention to grower?

2. just dont steal it.

3. it also depends alot on your garden ... if you talking about supporting 100 plants, a couple dozen clones, another couple dozen vegging plants then you might have need to be concerned. on the other hand if you are looking to run a single 600watt then i am not sure if you have to fear the electric company shutting off your service and sending in the po-po. a friend (he's grown for about 9 years now) decided to bump up his grow a few years back from a 600watt light to multiple 600's (three in all) and recieved a letter notifying him in the spike in his usage. the electric company gave him a number to call to verify the usage...which he did (and informed them he was aware - without even explaining the bump). the electric company told him they were concerned that a neighbor might be syphoning off his electricity (similiar to the credit card calls you get when you make a big purchase outside of your normal shopping pattern). he hasn't heard from them since....except for of course the scheduled meter readings.

4. As long as you pay your bill on time there will be no problems. 99% of the time they only come looking when you do not pay your bill on time.

5. 24/0 is gona bump up your bill by like 160$ over a period of a year.

6. #8 DelcozeHighKing, May 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2009
    happens all the time. Your home's electricity is a flow that runs thru your house. The utility company sees it as a line graph (if you've ever seen a dyno chart). Basically, since your home was built, its had relatively the same baseline of consumption, with slight variations up or down, but mainly in keeping with the rest of the homes in your neighborhood.

The addition of significant quantities of grow-lights, which have decent power consumption, will cause that line to rise --obviously, depending on how many lights you are using.

If your power goes up a bit, they won't even notice. But if it goes up substantially and plateaus at that high level, it will draw suspicion. Generally speaking, just the power consumption alone isn't enough to obtain a search warrant for the premises, but your utility company can report suspicious consumption levels anytime they want.

Its not about the $$$. And yeah, if your consumption goes up AND you don't pay your bill, then you are just asking for it. :D

7. #9 Vegan, May 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2009

yup

IMO
    people get busted growing for two reasons

1 they show someone the grow (yes this includes significant others[girlfriends turning in boyfriends], freinds ect)
    if one person knows you grow they wil tell 2 people at least

2 an informant tips police:eek:

joe blow gets busted for some bullcrap and he offers you up........ to get off what the popo busted him for( see reason 1)

8. Vegan's right about his reasons. Just dont throw in a bunch of highly powered lights. Also I turn off my computer(uses a 750W powersupply), and use natural light from windows until i really need to turn on lights or its dark so I can offset the usage a little bit and try to keep my bill down