Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Question about "donations"

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by i Donk, Nov 27, 2011.

1. #1 i Donk, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2011
    I've been a MMJ patient for about a year, and the experience has been very helpful. I have been curious about the "donations" collectives require though.

I was at a shop the other day. I asked about the cost of something and the budtender said "we recommend a donation of $45".

Now, I don't want this to turn into a discussion about fairness of prices etc, but I was wondering if I could actually pay less than the "recommended donation"?

Obviously the way the law is written in California, shops must say "donation" rather than "cost"

Is there anything in the law that says a collective member has the right to pay less than the posted donation?

2. ive always wondered this as well, i think they prob wont let you pay less but i havent tried.

(they do tend to give me a bit more then the exact weight though 3.7 8ths or w/e)

3. Yeah I assume they would deny us as well. It's just that "recommend" sounds so flexible. I thought maybe there was a legal loop-hole here lol

4. next time you go you should try it and report back lol

5. It is a legal loophole that allows them to sell marijuana, as they are only legally allowed to run a not-for-profit collective. They "recommend" donations because you can't "demand" them, as that would simply be payment.

It is just another example of how fucking contrived and strange our government is. Semantics and spin converts the word "pay" into "donate" and thereby circumvents the heart of the issue. When I think about such ridiculousness, I feel like I'm going crazy, but then I come to GC and realize that other people see through the bullshit just as clearly as I do... and that makes me feel a bit better.

6. Ask them at the collective, just tell them ur curious