Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Question about different strains

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by jfloyd1879, Nov 5, 2010.

1. #1 jfloyd1879, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2010
    What is the difference between different strains? Do they produce completely different highs, or do they just get you high than the other?
    Thanks

2. There's many differences between strains. The best place to start is educating yourself on the differences between Indica and Sativa, subspecies of Cannabis. There's many differences in the structure and appearance of the plants but I'll just talk about the high right now. That's what's important at the end of the day anyway right? ;)

So Sativa plants produce a more head-high focused high. Often very clear and energetic. Invokes lots of racing thoughts, laughter, and very uplifting. Definately the classic 'high'.

With Indica plants, you can expect a stoner, a more sort of body buzz. Very couch-lock-y and very opposite of Sativa. Allows deeper thinking and meditation. This is the stuff that keeps you glued to your chair because you just can't seem to move. No doubt, this stuff will get you 'stoned'.

Also note that cross-breeding of Cannabis is very popular and much of what you smoke will have been crossed with the gene-pool of the other species at some point. Plenty of pure Sativa and Indica strains exist, especially Indica, however hybrids tend to be the norm, leaning in favor of one or the other.

Note that highs can also be affected by growing conditions. Scientifically the plant's trichomes, or mushroom shaped glanduar objects located on the surface of the bud, which produce many of the resins, containing the cannabinoids we are interested in, THC and cannabidiol. Depending on when the plant was harvested will affect your levels of either, 'modifying' the sort of high you will get from that plant.

So the same is also true in genetics, Indica plants contain a larger percentage of cannabidiol, and Sativa plants contain a increased percentage of THC. Producing the different highs among strains. And different strains can also be more potent than one-another.

3. also different strains may make you act differently than other strains.

4. not really, unless you're a character from grandma's boy.

5. Anyone have other links I can refer to so I can educate myself more on this?

6. Go here and you can click each strain to find out the effects it will give you.

KGB - Marijuana Strain Library