Question about defoliation methods

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by Sinescent, Sep 10, 2018.

1. my plants are in the last couple weeks of flowering, so I've been doing some defoliation.

My question is what is the easiest way to defoliate?

At first I was simply using my fingers and plucking them manually, but a lot of times I would end up bending the little side buds off the main branches. This method was also extremely slow.

Then I tried snipping them off with my trimmers, but this wasn't done at the very base of the leaves. Is this ok to do it this way? Leaving some of the leaves stems intact? This method was much faster. Also, is it ok to snip partial leave? As in, not snipping the leaf stem, but the blades themselves?

2. I still use my fingers to pinch leaves and stems..However, I am not in favor of too much defol and use it very cautiously to avoid stress after week three..There are way to many pros and cons so we have to use our own best judgement..talking environmental factors into consideration. .I like to keep leaves on as long as possible so the plant can feed on them as I flush (another subject entirely, but related all the same)
    The 2 in the rear (1st picture)are in flush now.\
    Second is a breeding project where I am very shy to remove leaves..We shall see at week three;)

Speed is deadly when planning defol..Not advised in any case imo.
    9-7-18 1.JPG 9-6-18.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  3. You shouldn’t be doing any defoliation with a couple weeks left in flower. Too much stress now and she will hermie. Defoliation should be done before going to flower and if it needs it, again after week three and the stretch is done.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I grow organically outdoor, so I don't do any flushing.
    I know there are many sides to defoliation argument, strees, etc.

My question wasn't really about whether or not i should be defoliating. But more about HOW I should defoliate.

5. Pinching with your fingers, if you must..JMO

6. Outdoors..? I defoliate NOTHING, until the leaves turn yellow.
    :)
    9-7-18.JPG 9-5-18  1.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  7. thanks for your input

• Like Like x 1
  8. Growweedeasy.com/defoliation

One of the best tutorials and explanations about defoliation along with PROOF that it is beneficial when done at the right times during a grow.

I grow my thumbnail(s) a bit longer than the rest of my fingernails and just pinch the stem between my thumb and index finger...using my thumbnail to cut. Do not cut part of a fan leaf. Either pull it off completely or leave it alone.

“Tyranny anywhere is a threat to freedom everywhere.” — someone awesome

• Like Like x 1
  9. I am still "trained" not to grow my finger nails too long..Back in the day that was a dead giveaway..LMAO
    Today..different story!!

10. I just pinch them off. I start defoliating the beginning of August. Once a week until end of the 3rd week of flower. I always start out slow and do a little bit each week. Mostly because I'm outdoors and the sun is shifting, so I want to capture as much sun as possible. I'll also change up my last lined to bend branches to maximize light. IMG_20180918_163148608.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 4
  11. Wow! Your plants look amazing my friend! How many is that in the pic? Looks like you have an amazing canopy! What methods of training did you use to accomplish this?

12. Thanks! There are four plants with a partial fifth in the upper left. That particluar plant is untrained like the upper right. There's three plants in the middle. Two topped and one fim'd with lst. The frame of the hoop house is 9'x13'.

• Like Like x 1
  13. First let me say, great plants, great looking garden set up. Serious kudos to you. I understand defoliation, it seems as though you are trying to open up the canopy a bit. Have you considered using metal plant cages? Like with tomatoes? In this way you can manipulate the canopy by bending down large fan leaves, and keep them for your plant while it flowers. As I’m sure you know, the large fan leaves bring in the most light photons, and they also store valuable nutrients for flowering. Why not keep these on your plant? It’s not like you have limited space in a tent, and need to maximize tiny spaces. You could even set up a SCROG between the plant cages, although it might be overkill... but maybe not! Just a thought. I have only grown outdoor once and I just let them Christmas tree, so perhaps you know better than I, but this is just an outsider’s perspective looking in.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

14. Thanks man. I'm still new to this. This is only my fourth outdoor grow so I try incorporating different strategies every time. I've not thought about using tomato cages, but I have seen them in action. Honestly, I feel I get more production out of one plant when I top it and LST it early on. I probably push the limit as far as strain goes on some of the branches when I tie them down, but I have one plant that I've trained to have a canopy that is almost 5'x5'. I don't think I do too much defoliation. It's more precision pruning than anything. It's been so moist in VT this year that I've done a little more because I've struggled keeping PM at bay. Two more weeks for these girls!

15. Sounds awesome, I can’t wait until I’m done with school and can do outdoor again. Maybe I’ll find a house here with some cool renters that will let me do it outside.

• Like Like x 1