Question About Checking Ph...

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by StaffOfPower, Jun 15, 2014.

1. I've never checked pH before. TDS, I have, but not pH.
    I've heard that you should check it going in as well as runoff. What kind of meter do I need to do this...? How much should I plan on spending on it?

2. $100 minimum, nothing less.
    maybe callibration is needed as well, it'll say.

you check both runoff + feed to get most info, usually feed pH alone is enough, altho my only exp is with innert mediums.

3. Hanna makes a great ppm reader for about 50$ it outlasted my Blue Lab pen (120$) get the orange one.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. You don't need an $100 ph meter. If you really want one, you can get a quality meter for around $50. As mentioned above, Hanna has good meters. However, try to get one with digital calibration. I found the manual calibration not to be as accurate. When I grew with bottled nutrients, I had a Hanna Champ with manual screw calibration. I was not able to tune it 100%. The screw was adjusted all the way and it was still off by 0.3 when checking against calibration liquid.

Oakton has some solid ph testers as well
    http://www.amazon.com/Oakton-EcoTestr-Waterproof-Tester-Range/dp/B004G8PWAU/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1402863887&sr=8-11&keywords=hanna+ph+tester