Question about Cannabis and it's effects on the brain?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by shaddytheman, Feb 2, 2013.

1. I'm a skeptical curious person randomly searching on the internet on how Cannabis affects certain regions of the brain but yet on Google, I keep getting confirmation and cognitive bios articles without an statistical or research to support their theories or societal bias "stop taking drugs" I'm not interested in the mass of people, I'm interested in cold-scientific facts. Does anybody know any peer reviews that I could check that would give me truthful factual information, I really don't want to get blinded by false misinformation so please help me out.

2. Start your search with endocanibanoid system

3. this is my fav site ,when searching for papers. National Center for Biotechnology Information

Though you can only get full versions for when it says free pmc article on it. You only get abstracts for most of them. If you go to university of have university friends , you can prob get access to the pdfs.

4. I have NCBI bookmarked and have used it for years! :D New studies on cannabinoids are coming out faster and faster! We are just 33 days into the years and already there are 159 studies on "cannabinoids"! :yay: To put that in perspective, in the year 2000, there only 377 studies for the whole year! :eek:

(The new 2013 List will be coming out soon, and if you have received a copy of the 2012 List, you will automatically get a copy of the 2013 version.)

If you send me an email (bottom of my sig), or PM me yours, I'll send you an 840 page long PDF of links to MMJ studies and articles.

Everything is nicely divided into sections like "IQ/MEMORY" or "CANNABIDIOL/ CBD" for easy use. The "ENDOCANNABINOID SYSTEM" section is getting very long since the ECS is involved with every bodily function, and is the future of medicine!

There is a LOT more to cannabis than "just" getting high! :smoking:

Granny :wave:

5. If you want a really detailed understanding of what marijuana does to the brain I reccomend you start studying neuroscience, chemistry and biology.

6. @Granny Storm Crow check your PM, I'm also interested in getting the updated 2013 list as well.

@MysteryRoach69, I have a thirst for acquiring knowledge so post any links so I can get started.

7. Shaddy, you got mail! :yay:

If you guys want your own copy, PM or email me! It is great for shutting up prohibitionists, writing that "killer" term paper on the endocannabinoid system or cannabidiol, or just to become the local "Ganja Guru"! :smoking:

8. Thank you so much!

9. Any old time, hon! I'm all about educating EVERYONE about what cannabis can do for you.... besides "just" get you high! lol and feel free to forward the List to all of your friends! The more folks we educate, the better! :yay:

10. I totally agree, I'm formerly interested in developing my knowledge and delving deep in the joyous plant that we enjoy partaking in. I'll be sure to be spread the knowledge. Thanks again!

11. Start with a general overview of the nervous system

Nervous system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here are some basic vocabulary you will need for neuroscience

Neuron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Neuroglia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Action potential - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note: if you arn't familiar with how ions work Action Potential probably won't make sense. Read about how electricity works its kind of the same thing. Understanding AP as ions moving is essential though IMO

Become familiar with the anatomy of the human brain. Focus on the four major lobes first then break them down. Also focus on the difference between the functions of the frontal brain, the midbrain and the brain stem/cerrebellum (also called the hind brain)

Human brain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another major system that affects consciuosness is the endocrine system.

Endocrine system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The THC article has links to the specific parts of the brain that THC works on

Tetrahydrocannabinol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Learn the terms agonist and its opposite antagonist (links in THC article).

Also become familiar with the common neurotransmitters and their functions

Neurotransmitter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its also probably a good idea to look at how the brain performs normal functions. This way you can get an idea of how the brain does things and how/why THC makes it function the way it does

If you have any questions or need something explained just ask me. I was studying in a neuroscience research program for two years before I quit to do what I do now. Still though I love neuroscience its mind blowing.

12. Also proteins and enzymes (a protein that has the specific function of speeding up chemical reactions of certain types) are very important in bio-chemistry

Any channel or receptor is just a protein

13. Thanks MysteryRoach69 for the taking the time time to thoroughly posting links and explaining, the reason I asked is because I haven't had a human biology course but a watered down version of biology that was taught in H.S and didn't exemplify or demonstrate the other existing systems rather the nervous and the digestive system. I'll work my way up from the basics then apply the others when I have a understanding on how they function.