Question about Appalachian Trail..

Discussion in 'General' started by Stoogemeister, Feb 13, 2010.

1. I know most hikers go south to north, georgia to maine, in like march or may.

the thing is, i am graduating in june and want to do a hike thru. Would it be possible to start as soon as i graduate in June 5th or so, but starting in maine, and going south?

also, is it better to wear heavy waterproof boots or light hiking shoes/boots. thanks

2. Can't help you out there with what dates to start but as a fan of hiking long distances its best to wear whats comfortable. If you do get rain you can always dry your shit out while you sleep.

A bit of a side story with the Appalachian trails. I met a 20 something year old teacher who was going from south to north and he was funding his trip by selling weed to other hikers along the trail. We passed by him and he asked if we smoked and proceeded to pull out an ounce from a bag of chocolate drink mix. He smoked us up with 2 joints and we gave him some gatorade and donuts and parted ways. It appeared he just had a sleeping mat and a backpack of nessecities and some hiking shoes. All in all very light cargo he had on him if that helps you out at all.

Sorry for the randomness of the story but it kinda fit:hello:

3. I've always been interested in hiking the Appalachian trail, I think the main reason to start earlier than June is to try and avoid the colder months which would make it more difficult.

4. "Squeal like a pig, boy!"

Anyways, I'm not familiar with the Appalachian Trail, but do a long of endurance hiking in my own locality.

Bring lightweight hiking boots. Ensure they have good ankle support, and match your style of gait. Although most quality brands are very resistant to surface water, they will likely get soaked in instances of heavy rain or in a water crossing -- they are designed to dry quickly. Matched with a pair of wool hiking socks, your feet can be dry inside 20 minutes.

I gotta say, I think this is something you build up to. If you're unsure if you should be wearing heavy boots or not, I think you have some preparation and a learning curve to overcome. I'd hate to hear about you getting injured out there.