Question about air pruning roots

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ScienceSeeker, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Hello,

What is the importance of the downward pointing conical extensions that air pruning pots have for the holes ? If I just take a simple plastic pot and make uniform holes all around it would that not work the same ?
    thanks.

2. Not exactly. Air pots are designed with those protrusions to guide the roots to the holes where they are air pruned - it prevents circling.
    Hydro-3-1.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. this is all u need.!!!
    with proper size pots and proper watering/feeding root problems will not exist.!!
    WIN_20180810_11_13_57_Pro.jpg at 3 months in less then 1 gallon of coco/perlite this momma's roots look healthy.!!

4. #4 ScienceSeeker, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    true, but fabric bags dont have such downward pointing cones and still work fine for many it seems .. so whats that 'extra' feature that conical shape offers ?
    thanks.

5. Roots can't circle in a fabric pot - they grow through the fabric and the ends die when exposed to the air. A regular plain pot is smooth - even with holes in the sides you will get some circling. If you noticed Slow Old Guy's pot, it's irregular on the sides not smooth - that would work better if you strategically place the holes. I'm not advocating air pots - just trying to explain how they work. I wouldn't use anything else and they last forever. Good luck.

6. Yes you can. I drilled a bunch of 3/4" holes then lined the inside with landscape fabric and it worked like a charm 20180929_164450.jpg

• Like Like x 2