Grasscity - Cyber Week Sale - up to 50% Discount

Quest for a DIY LED panel

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Dirtbud, May 23, 2010.

1. So, Loki--can you make me a led array?:hello:

2. I could, but I'm not going to... I will help you make one though.

First thing you need to do is get LEDs. I suggest searching eBay for "10mm .5w 5-chips LED". Depending on how you plan to grow, pick the best len angle... Wider angles for a shorter canopy, narrower angles for taller canopies.

Next, get an old PC power supply and turn it into a power supply for your LEDs. Here's how... Converting a PC Power Supply

Now get a multimeter and find out exactly what the voltage on the +12v terminal really is... It may be as high as 13.8 volts or low as 11 volts. You have to know the real output, or your LED array will be wrong...

Designing the array... go to LED series parallel array wizard and plug in the voltage of your +12v terminal and your LED specs (use 90% of the rated forward voltage).

Then just solder everything together and you're good to go...

-Loki

3. Thanks for the reply Loki--your work is impressive, I must say. That microgrow shit--very cool.

As for the diy, I understand your directions, but umm .... this is not doable for most of us. I can't solder for one, and for another, the power supply conversion, well that's just plain dangerous. I've not got a multi-meter, either. As for choosing the lens angle, well I might be able to decide that, but I'd defer to someone who knows wtf they're talking about.

Now I'm no quitter, I just know my limitations. In short, the plan you graciously laid down is out the league of us mere mortals. Hit me up in a PM about said array, bro.

4. #44 Loki7, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2011
    Soldering isn't as hard as you probably think... you should try. I only solder for myself, so I'll help you design one if you find someone to make it for you... It really is, if you can solder, the best way to go with LEDs because you'll know you've got top shelf LEDs and it works out to under $1 per watt...

Of course, maybe you could do like I did with the Drop of Green LEDs and use a foam base and just poke, twist and snip the LED leads.... Checkout the build on page 3 or 4 of the DoG thread and see if that looks doable...

-Loki

5. What the heck you talking about? If you knew anything about power supplies, you'd know you need a "minimum load" on it. Without that minimum load, then you'd have a higher output, yes.. but a minimum load will level out the supply to what it's rated at. Chit.. otherwise, everything called for 12v's would fry with a 12v power supply if that was the case. Imagine all your pc components just.. "dying". :eek:

And if you use a pc's psu, like the OP, and myself for that matter (antec 350 watt), there's usually trimpots inside.. definitely 1 for the 12v, and possibly 1 for the 5v as well. The 12v can be set from 10.(something) to 13.8v.

6. Hello... What are you babbling on about? You're right, "The 12v can be set from 10.(something) to 13.8v"... that why I said check it. If you design an LED array to run at 12v, then supply 13.8v is going to overdrive them and they wear out much faster.

PC components will usually have their own voltage regulator... of course, everyone but you probably knows this...

-Loki

7. Umm.. that's why you use a driver.. it either boosts or bucks the voltage. And if you use a "constant current driver", it adapts the current to the voltage fluctuation.. therefore, if voltage is higher than 12v's, it will accommodate.

Here's a 2.3v 660nm LED, connected to the 12v line, with a simple buck type regulator.. set at 700mA...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Had it running for 6 hours straight.. not an issue.

And what I was "babbling about".. power supplies that are plugged into a wall, such as a 12v 700mA vdc supply, does read more than 12v's if you attach your voltage meter to it.. and nothing else for a "minimum load". As soon as you add a load, such as 1/2 a watt or so, the voltage reading will be lower, and closer to the 12v's the supply says it's rated for. Even a pc's psu has a minimum load.. my 350 Antec needs 0.5amps on the 3.3 and 5v rails, and 1amp on both the 12v1 and 12v2 rails.

And no, your harddrives, floppy disks, and cd/dvdroms do not have regulators.

8. Had it running 6 whole hours, huh? I've got hundreds of hours on my LEDs bars and no issues.

If you have a regulated power supply, you don't need to use a voltage regulator. I bet you my LED bars cost a 1/4 of what your setup does...

-Loki

9. If you knew anything about reading, you'll see in the link to the DIY power supply that it includes a 10 watt "minimum load"...

Lrn2Read Noob...

-Loki

10. Yeah.. but who sells a 19.8v supply for 6 RoyalBlues at 3.3v a piece? Nobody. You get a supplier that's usually bigger than you need, but hopefully not that much. Your driver then takes care of the extra voltage. And led's are current driven.. not voltage driven.. you don't want regulated voltage, you want regulated current.

11. Hmm.. a 10ohm 10watt dummy load connected to the 5v rail...

5V/10ohm = 500mA
    500mA*5V = 2.5W

The 10watt resistor isn't using the full 10 watts.. it's only good "up to" 10 watts. The reason they're using a 10 watt resistor, is so it doesn't get hot.

You know, your quite the dick. You might want to drop the fuckin' attitude.. you may actually get some friends then.

You might also want to read up on electronics before spewing shit. It makes you look very foolish.

12. You're the one with the attitude... You wanted a fucking 1/4 watt load and it has a 2.5 watt load on a resistor that can handle 10 watts... Big fucking deal...

I have plenty of friends here... and you do not get to be one of them... good bye :wave:

-Loki

13. Yeah, but... that's all you have... but nothing.

-Loki

14. Now, now boys--let's play nice.

Loki can be abrasive, but you did come on a little strong there, Spuzzum. How 'bout lets put our minds >together< and perfect our knowledge. I'm sure we all can learn from each other. And once you LED gods come to an agreement, let us know. :)

And if one of you studs want to make an LED array for me or have a spare lying around . . .:wave:

15. Come on strong?? He flames the OP saying he doesn't have a clue, then spews something about the supply being bigger than it's rated for.. which isn't true. I posted to correct.. I didn't flame. But his response was to flame and insult.. some people get off on that sort of shit... they all grow out of it sooner or later.

Sounds like a dick to me..............

16. And you sound like a cry baby... The nice thing about DIY LEDs is you can match your array to your power supply, but hey, if the only way you know how to do it involves a voltage regulator, you go with what works for you... Me? I'll do it the right way...

-Loki

17. Have you never heard of an led driver? It's not the voltage you need to worry about, it's the current. You could use exactly the correct amount of voltage, but without a current regulator your led's won't stay the same brightness.

Have a look at what the reefer community does, then tell me I'm wrong. They've been using these damn things for years more than us stoners.

DIY LEDs - The write-up - Reef Central Online Community
    LED Drivers : LED Light Bulb : LEDs Lighting : LED Supply

THAT's the correct way of doing it... THAT's how professional lighting is done as well.

Get over yourself.. arrogance leads to stupidity.

With that, I bid you well... this is too childish for me.

Peace all.

18. #58 Loki7, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2011

I didn't say it was wrong, I just said you don't need them. I've got LEDs that have hundreds if not thousands of hours of use and guess what mister know-it-all? Not a single voltage/current regulator...

I've been making my own LED light sources for over 4 years, so no they haven't been doing it longer than me... longer than you clearly...

My latest LED project... A Netduino mini controlling 4 wavelengths of LEDs... fits inside a 24oz Amp can...

-Loki

Attached Files:

19. #59 RO76, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2011
    Alright ladies , stop fighting...

Attached Files:

20. Clearly you two are talking about different LEDs.

Looks like Loki uses through hole 5mm LEDs and Spuzzum uses high power LEDs that are SMT.

These are two different types of circuits.

Spuzzum needs a constant current source or he might get runaway due to heat, shotty power, etc.

Loki has relatively low power diodes that will get away with a resistor on a DC supply just fine. Less heat and not much runaway to worry about.

No need to flame when you are talking about two different things. I thought it was fun though. I would not run high power LEDs without some kind of constant current regulation.