Quartz Club Banger, season it? Or no?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by 520medicineman, Oct 15, 2014.

1. I just picked up one of Quave's quartz club bangers and I was just curious about seasoning it for taste. I read mixed reviews about seasoning Quartz. My buddy that actually owns the same one I ordered said NOT to season it or do anything to it except take hits at a low temperature, but I watched a highly rated YouTube video about having to season a Quartz nail. I didn't know what to do and didn't want to waste my oil so I didn't season it.

I've probably taken about 10-20 hits out of it between me and my friends. The first few hits tasted really great, like I could taste the flavor of the concentrate, I asked all my friends to tell me if they tasted a burnt taste or a flavorful taste and it was about 50/50 for 10 dabs. The past 10 or so I've taken have tasted fairly burnt, and I've been disappointed as I spent 170$ on this nail. A friend of mine recommended that I heat the nail red hot, time it for 30 seconds and then hit it, which I did and the flavor wasn't bad but I seemed to waste a lot because when I reheated the nail it caught on fire and burned the rest of the oil in the nail.

I'd just like some recommendation from people that actually own QUARTZ not BORO GLASS nails and what you do to achieve a great taste. I've heard amazing things about these nails and I know that are meant for flavorful hits. Any help is appreciated :) !

2. Are you carbing your banger? I know its an obvious question but some peoole don't and wonder why it taste like shit kr they waste to much

3. Good freakin god. And it's not even titanium. If I was gonna spend that kind of $$$ on a nail, it would have to be solid 24K gold with diamond studs.

4. Anything from guave is expensive. His most basic clear recyclers are still 5k

5. #5 ShatterWulf, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2014
    That still seems like a short amount of time for it to cool; my experience with quave bangers is pretty limited but I have a Halen Honeyhole on a rig I frequently use and I heat it the whole thing up to red, then after it's stopped glowing I let it cool for 45 seconds, then dab and carb cap with a silicone dish. It leaves a little on the domeless, but it's a small price to pay for the nice flavorful dabs you get.

6. After 10 dabs I'm pretty sure it's seasoned. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

7. I'm gonna make a quartz club mash. That way, we can have quartz club bangers and mash.

Hahahahahahaha now that right thar is funny I don't care who ya are.

8. I recently grabbed on of these highly overpriced quartz club bangerz and I'm super stoked about the tasty hits.  I'm bummed a don't have a better carb cap; one that fits it more perfectly.  I've been going back and forth between a piece of glass, titanium cap, and/or this metal beer cap that actually serves up the juiciest hits.  Either way it's a win win.  I'd say you're doing it right, based on my own experience with quartz and oil I'd recommend heating the thing glowing orange EVERY TIME before you are going to dab - what you want to do here is burn off any and all residue left on that thing so when you drop your dab (after you've waited the 40-45 secs after it stopped glowing) you'll get the flavor only from that fresh dab and not any burnt flavor from previous ones.  You will plow through the 'tane a little more quickly but it's all worth it for those tasty tasty dabs...

can anyone recommend a carb cap I can buy or make that fits one of these things nicely?  

OP I hope this helps let me know.  I'm brand new to the whole carb cap thing as of like a couple of weeks ago and I can't believe what I've been missing in flavor!  So back to someone else's question, OP, are you using a carb cap or no?  Because you definitely should be.  In case you don't know what it does the carb cap holds the heat in and by creating an "almost" seal it creates higher pressure in the space where the dab is, which lowers the vaporization point of the oil, which in turn serves you lower temp and thus more tasty dabs!  I wish someone had just told me that when I first saw these things!

9. Bump. I've had a quartz banger for almost a month now. It's an ebay banger but anyway here's what I do. since it's well seasoned at this point and grey in the bottom of the cup, I heat it up until all of the grey glows red. then I wait for it to cool back from red and 10-20 seconds after it comes back from red I hold the dabber in the cup not touching anything and let the dab warm up and drip off. so the hit is actually about 30 seconds after it's red. then I use a globe shaped dome that came with one of my other pieces to carb it, the curvature of it seals just enough with the banger, letting just a small amount of air in. If your globe is the right shape you can even stick it to the banger and it will stay with your suction power until you stop hitting, then it will fall.

sorry for the zombie thread, but I felt like that was useful information. this thread is on page 1 of google results for quartz banger, so

10. #10 Teericky, May 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
    I use a marble to cap my banger seems to work really nice

• Like Like x 1
  11. [quote name="flysurferrosa" post="21020977" timestamp="1417742473"
    OP I hope this helps let me know. I'm brand new to the whole carb cap thing as of like a couple of weeks ago and I can't believe what I've been missing in flavor! So back to someone else's question, OP, are you using a carb cap or no? Because you definitely should be. In case you don't know what it does the carb cap holds the heat in and by creating an "almost" seal it creates higher pressure in the space where the dab is, which lowers the vaporization point of the oil, which in turn serves you lower temp and thus more tasty dabs! I wish someone had just told me that when I first saw these things![/quote]

Not really, it just limits the amount of air that's being inhaled.

In fact, using a carb cap helps lower the heat of the nail faster because of heat transfer when your touch the two together the heat from the nail will dissipate to the cap.

What you describe would be true if it was completely sealed shut and you had a constant heat source, you could achieve a vacuum

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

I see what you're saying about the heat transfer from the nail to the cooler cap.  Regardless of the heat being transferred between the nail and the cap I think we can both agree that the pressure in that space between the nail and the cap has increased quite a bit from atmospheric, which again will lower the vaporization temp of the oil, which serves a much tastier dab where you can actually taste the terps and not a burnt flavor.  And although heat is being transferred between the nail and the cap, I would argue that the temperature of the air in that same space is staying more constant than when you have it sitting in open air.  Regardless of the science, if I heat my quave club banger up to orange, wait 50 seconds, drop the dab, cap it, start inhaling at around 52 at the latest, then I have one of the best tasting dabs I've ever had again and again.  If you want a little less taste and a little more "hit" (you'll probably cough) then decrease the 50 secs to like 45.  anything lower than that you'll be coughing your ass off and tasting burnt carbon (but you'll be one super baked camper!)

13. #13 Reeferpsychosis, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2015
    Sorry to revive this post again but as ZippytheRazor said, it's useful info and still the first thing that comes up if you google "quartz banger". Anyways, you cannot argue the usefulness of the carb cap or its effectiveness in achieving full vaporization. It works and although there may be a very slight increase in heat loss, it is outweighed greatly by the efficiency that the carb cap yeilds. Also to add to this cap discussion, a carb cap actually lowers atmospheric pressure. (imagine how water boils in space with no heat) The beauty of a the quartz banger is that any flat surface that is not combustible can be used as a cap (such as the back of my iphone). So there is no need to go looking for a "special banger cap". It's cool to be able to use pendants and rock slabs as a cap.

Edit: also heat up the banger until it is red and you will quickly see the residue from your last dab disappear.

14. While I agree that it's cool to be able to use many things as a carb cap, it's even cooler to not get oil all over your shit and buy a dedicated carb cap that fits the nail.  I spent about 50$ on one and although it was a bitch to locate and actually get my hands on, it has been soooo worth it.  Anyways, for anyone looking to buy one, I'll save you some time.  It took me forever to locate these damn things, like page 10 of a google search and I found this buy contacting someone in an instagram comment...but I got my cap and it's fucking glorious.  

https://instagram.com/qfz_forthepeople/