quantum quirks?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Digit, Jan 6, 2008.

1. since someone around here said recently that quantum mechanics does not work on large scales... i wonder how they would explain the effect in the above abstract.

i'll likely return to this thread with more. if you have your own quantum quirks, please do share.

2. Not much for information to work with here. I assume the pendulums were set to swing at the same rate, and they were started out of phase and eventually matched each other. Pendulums set to swing at different rates would continually go in and out of phase.

Women living together tend to have their cycles match each others.

3. :rolleyes:
    go get yourself a couple of clocks and test it for yourself.

my visits to the toilet synchronize with my dad, even though i live a nocturnal life and eat and drink at different times.

k, to keep this thread on track...
    ^ (for those who either dont know how to copy and paste into a findbar, or are too lazy, or dont care, or it simply hadnt occured to) that ^ was taken from http://www.astrobio.net/news/article1124.html though there's many many sites reporting this, it was just the one i found first.

4. I am afraid I am going to insist on a strict definition of what you mean. If two pendulums are swinging at different rates, they can't just magically synchronize. It is concieveable that two clocks with the same rate of swing could synchronize their swings, but the actual rate of swing being the same would have to be a given. Since he was using clocks as his pendulums, that they were set to swing at the same rate seems a reasonable assumption, and the person refering to it in the bit you quoted phrased it poorly.

5. go get two clocks and try it out for yourself.

your speculative assumptions and attempts to conceive arent giving you any answers.

let me know how it goes. i wonder if you set out thinking that they wont synchronise, if this will have a strong enough effect to prevent them from synchronising. that, to me, would be the real test.

besides... looking at this leaf we're kinda missing the whole tree... let alone the whole forest and so on.

lets get this thread back on track......

Heisenberg principle.

whether its the gloves in boxes analogy, or the double split experiment...
    ... this one just really gets me. the moment i think i've finally really grasped it and know the concept inside and out and all around, it still baffles me.

i typed in quantum weirdness and firefox took me directly to:
    http://www.stanford.edu/dept/HPS/WritingScience/Ferris.htm

edit-
    i suppose if time really is an ilusion, then in a sence, so must space.
    i've been working on a thread (rather been procrastinating ;)) built largely on my uncle's omniverse theeory which correlates with some other interesting multiverse theories which predict the properties of the elementary particles (quarks, muons etc) as a mathematical consequence of the dimensions/universe structure, on an 8th dimensional basis. anyways, the reason i bring it up is that the event horizon of knowledge, where we have hit yet another great unknown to ponder, is the state prior to the apparent seperation of spacial and temporal dimensions, which came from a single state where all was one, indeterminate, with no space, nor time. if that ever existed at all, then that in a sence, always exists, because it predates time, it is "outside" of time. time is an ilusion, as is often said. so, this lengthy ramble gets to the point...
    everything, all elementary particles, everything, knows where everything else is. instantly.

...staggeringly mind blowing as that revelation is.

* though there i go again, the moment i think i get it....
    not so much knows where everything is... or rather, "the observer" (thats us trying to figure this stuff out) cannot determine both an objects speed and its location at the same time. only know one or the other. k, i'm gonna stop.... before i go so far as to make my head hurt.

6. The Uncertainty Principle's implications are quite profound. It is certainly one of my favorite results of quantum mechanics to contemplate.

Lately I've been viewing it as a limit in what can be observed in the world. Just as the speed of light is a limiting velocity in the universe.

7. hehehehe. light is increadibly slow though! what, its like 186,000 miles per second or something right?

sheesh! we'll never get anywhere at that rate. that's 4 years space travel (overlooking relativity) just to get to the nearest star to us. i dont want to go for a day trip to proxima kentaurus (or whatever its called) only to discover 8 years have passed when i get back.

i've traveled the universe at the speed of thought.
    way faster than light.
    369 trillion miles per jiffy? sure no problem. it's unlimited. go take a peek past the "edge" of our universe if you like. catching up with the light rim is not problem. heh, if you are brave enough.

but yeah, about taking our mass along with us.... that might be a bit different. will have to see how quickly those guys working on teleportation are doing.
    last i heard they were teleporting clumps of matter, but with little regard for the order they materialized at the other end, and were setting their sights much higher... a biological cell! quite a leap from some mere few particles all the way up to a cell.

8. ^Digit you have the most eccentric genius I've ever had the pleasure of seein on any message board, ever. Congradulations...heres a big Trophy. To be used as an inspirational Icon for you...here ya go...

:smoking:

9. * digit gets out the heavy duct tape and wraps around head 7 times *
    nnnnnngh!
    must stop head inflating...... waaaaaaaa!

10. Too late. It popped a while ago.

I looked it up, and the pendulums have to be mounted on the same beam, and then they end up swinging out of phase.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odd_sympathy
    It is not up to me to have faith it will work, nor would it work with different lenght or weight of pendulums. A slight movement of the beam serves to adjust the timing, and they end up swinging in opposite directions.

11. so you have tried it?

:confused:

12. I've seen it on TV, and I can't think on what. I'm sure it was one of the Christmas Lectures, but that seems improbable somehow. I've seen it happen though. The explanation was that the minute torsions in the frame caused by the pendulums were synchronising it all. I'm sure there was something in New Scientist too. I'll try to find a link...

MelT

13. my thread died.... stuck on a leaf.

14. :poke:

Your out on a limb, so go...suck on a leaf.

15. fuck that... i'll spread my wings n fly n savour the beautiful glow of the forrest again.

16. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_physics
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpretation_of_quantum_mechanics
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mysticism

at time of writing (cos who knows when it will change) the three wikipedia articles above are prime examples of why i think the new forum section of science and nature is utter bunk, and why i proclaim that anyone who claims to be aimed for peace yet guns for segregation has bs claims.

unity and comon ground.... that is where the peace you seek can be found. understanding.

not in seperation and widening and emphaisising differences and divides which are weakly tenable in the first place.

sorry... seems i still have some rant in me. lol.

wait, no... i'm not sorry.

hurray... i still have rant in me. :D

17. Could it have something to do with the rotation of the earth? I know that affects a different pendulum

18. At least you and I are in the right forum section to talk about it haha. Yeah, Unity is the way, but perhaps science needs to remain "independent" just a while longer before it can admit as a whole that it will never know everything through repeated experimentation and theorization. :) Some intuitive insight might be helpful.