Grasscity - Black Friday Sale - up to 70% Discount

Quantum lights vs COB lighting??

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Arcadian, Nov 5, 2017.

1. If you wanted to grow 3-4 plants and had a 4x4 tent with no air conditioner, only an exhaust fan and not a ton of money. But only wanted to make one purchase and not change my mind later. Would you pick COBs, quantum boards, or maybe even a cmh?

I'm looking more for efficiency. Low heat. And quality over quantity.

Pleeease help me make up my mind

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

2. Personally i would go with the quantum boards. Cheaper than cobs and really effective. I have the 260w qb kit in s 3x3 and its awesome.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I️ like the quantum boards I️ just feel they need a little extra. Add a few far reds and little blues and I️ feel better about them. But they work great for plug and grow money wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Anyone know a place that ships worldwide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Horticultural lighting group do also growerslights.com

• Like Like x 3
  6. Cool. I was thinking 2 of the 260 w boards for my tent

• Like Like x 1
  7. This is hard to suggest when I've never used the Vero cob arrays. And have a quantum board myself, but I would say the boards are gonna be cheaper, not sure if they actually out preform the rapid cob kits or not though .

• Like Like x 3
  8. COB is an acronym for Chip On Board and refers to a manufacturing process when making led where your individual led is not a single one but a miniature micro circuit board that has many hundreds or possibly thousands of tiny leds printed in a small area. It's similar to the way computer CPU's are built with many millions of transistors in a very small area.

The Samsung LM 561c chips that are on the quantum boards are actually manufacturered in this method but the end size is about 4x8mm approx instead of 30mm round like the other common round cobs.

There isn't a round cob with better numbers that I know of. That samsung diode is capable of 200Lm/w and 3.02umol/J if dimmed and ran at their peak efficiency level of 250mA for the qb304 board.

It's right there is the flux characteristics chart at the link.
    QB304 Quantum Board

Granted nobody runs them that dimmed because you'd need 3 times as many boards to end up with the same lumens per square foot as running them at full rated power. Even at full rated power they're 177Lm/w and 2.59umol/J.

The build is so much more simple with no lenses, paste, ect.

I think the real winner is the qb120 board because of it not needed any heatsinks and being the perfect voltage range to run off of a massive amount of different power options opening up some super cheap DIY with an amazing diode.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. #10 Tbone Shuffle, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    I would say a single qb304 board is probably equal to 2 Cree CXB 3590 cobs. Maybe even 3.
    These ones in the video are qb288 boards so the output is lower but a single board will par at 730 at 18" with under 150 watts. I believe that is better par then a 400 watt hps.

Here's a 400 watt hps/mh ppfd chart at 18".
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  10. The way to do what you want to do I think is to build two 4 board qb120 fixtures for your 4x4 bloom area in 3k. Use the meanwell HLG 240h-c2100a driver for each 4 boards in series. You'll have full dimming control. You'll have better spread and less heat output then qb260 fixtures.

I know I own both fixtures and the qb120's are way cooler running. The qb260's especially with the qb304 boards run quite warm. They are a challenge to keep a 4x4 cool with. I have to dim mine a good 15-20% to keep my temps in the low 80's.

I helped a friend of mine build two 4 board qb120 fixtures with that exact driver and I think they are very comparable in output to the qb260 while costing about $200 each compared to $325 each if you build the qb260 kit yourself. That's $400 to fully outfit your 4x4 compared to $650 if you went with qb260's.

• Like Like x 5
  11. For coverage area, building with the qb120 in 4 board fixtures like that actually compares in price to outfitting an area with high end HPS fixtures. If you are the type to want a nice remote ballast, an aftermarket hood, and a good bulb it typically takes $400 or better in the end to put a nice single end 1000 watt hps in a 4x4.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Both the vero and the cree 4x4 cob kits use 12 cobs. The quantum board based fixtures use 4 boards to cover a 4x4. That means 1 board = 3 cobs.

The cree 4x4 fixture is $900. An 8 board qb120 setup would be around $400.
    https://www.rapidled.com/cxb3590-4-x-4-grow-kit/
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  13. Thanks Tbone! I really appreciate all the in depth info. It helps a lot.And I am seriously considering your idea of the 8 120w boards. Sounds like a great deal. And you're right, most of the quality cobs are way too expensive for the amount I would need just to cover a 4x4.

• Like Like x 2
  14. You ever think of picking up on some of these cob setups? I've been checking them out and seen YouTube grows that look beautiful with them. Sparks my interest for sure

15. Would I be able to turn the drivers all the way up without damaging the lights at all? And would I ever even need to turn the drivers up to max power anyway? And did you solder your wires?
    Actually I don't know anything at all about electricity.. In your opinion, are these easy enough to assemble without starting my house on fire? I would hate to have to worry about anything like that. Or electrocution lol. The guy on the YouTube video doesn't give me much confidence. He says to have someone else with experience to wire up the driver. Kind of a weird thing to say when he's supposed to be showing me how it's done lol. But it can't be too complicated, I wouldn't think?

16. No soldering. Molex connectors on the boards. All you have to do is splice a cord on the driver for the wall plug. As to the reliability of the quantum boards, check this out. This guy sent almost 9 amps and over 600 watts through a qb288 and it laughed at him.

If you're nervous when you get the parts make a thread and we'll help you wire it.

If you go with the 2100a driver you'll be wiring in series. Only use one set of + - inputs on each board. Don't use the second set to feed the next board. That doesn't work with series wiring these. The pass through is a parallel connection.

The positive output of the driver goes to the first board in the line. It will plug directly into the positive molex connector. Get some 18awg 2 wire thermostat wire to splice the rest of the connections between the boards. The negative on the first board jumps to the positive on the second board. The negative on the second board jumps to the positive on the third board. The negative on the third board goes to positive on the 4th board and the negative on the 4th board goes back to the driver output negative wire.

Easy peasy. The wires push into the connectors. The hardest part is splicing a 120v cord the blue wire is neutral or the larger prong plug on the wall socket. The brown is power or the smaller prong on the wall plug. The green yellow is ground.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Nah. I haven't even got to hardly grow with my quantums. I just upgraded all my lights. I only do that every couple of years. Now it's time to crack down and figure out how to get the most out of them.

If someone else is upsetting the apple cart with some unheard of performance in a few years I'll think about it but I'm pretty sure the newest cobs aren't that far ahead if any compared to the qb's.

• Like Like x 1
  18. I know citizen has the 1818 now and vero has an SE but I don't think they're outperforming 2.6umol/j which is what the qb304 board puts out at max rated current. Forget that it does over 3umol/j when dimmed.

Just some quick googling shows the 1818 is a considerable percentage behind the qb304 board in output efficiency.

I'm not loyal I'll go with whoever makes a better product. Right now it's the quantum boards IMO.

• Like Like x 4
  19. fwiw, I feel the cob kits are over built. I am running them 25% dimmed in flower and 70% dimmed in veg while getting better results. Therefore, I am skeptical if that many cobs are really needed. My 2 centavos. I am finding that with the new LED tech more is not always better.

• Like Like x 1