quantum levitation

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by dealwithit, Oct 19, 2011.

1. thats sick dude thansk for posting.

2. that was awesome. hoverboards soon? i hope so lol

3. anybody know what methods and/or materials were used or the physics behind this vid???

4. That's freakin awesome stuff. I gotta have some of it.

5. this is wild...imagine the greatest bong ever...you could just float that shit to your buddies

6. I would have a table that constantly had a packed bowl floating around it waiting to be smoked :smoke:HAHA

Shits soo cool.

7. dudes imagine a fatty smoke sesh in the international space station. It would be so fun to pass the blunt lmao.

"CATCH FOO!"
    *Floats the blunt through space to a homie that's waiting for a weightless puff.

8. A better video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyOtIsnG71U&feature=player_embedded]QuantumLevitation - YouTube[/ame]

9. I believe the puck in the video is mostly sapphire, coated in a micron thick sheet of yttrium barium copper oxide.

Once cooled down below a certain critical temperature, the superconducting puck can conduct currents with absolutely no resistance. In this fashion, it will generate repulsive magnetic response to the external magnetic fields. It's the Meissner effect.

However, since the wafer is so thin, very tiny amounts of external magnetic flux can penetrate through the superconductor in the shape of little tubes. The wafer will try and keep a energy-convenient alignment of these tubes; spatially repositioning the wafer would realign the magnetic flux tubes.