quantum computing plants

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Mr. Dank, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Link is broken, but I found it searching on google for the same title.

I'm surprised people are just now starting to realize how smart plants are. Photosynthesis, possibly one of the oldest processes on Earth, has been around for at least 3 billion years, and it's more efficient at converting sunlight to energy than all of mankind's glorious inventions to this point.

If you think this process is evidence of intelligence, you should see how they work at a biomolecular level with enzymes and specific compounds... ;)

2. Is there a video in which I can see this, or a demonstration of it??

3. Well, it's not really a specific statement so I'm not sure if there's a video I can link you to... I mean, there's plants in the Arctic (I forget what they're called) which are capable of turning and adjusting their leaves so that the sunlight is always maximizing the photosynthetic process. Apparently, they can adjust to look at the "center" of the sun with something like a +/- 75 mile range. Which is incredible considering the distance the sun is away from us.

Some vines are also capable of making choices in ways we're not quite sure of. Dennis McKenna researched a vine; I unfortunately have no name for this one either, that was able to somehow detect whether the host plant whose sunlight it would be stealing could survive in those conditions, or if by growing on that plant, the vine would kill it. He had specific plants he knew would die under the lack of sunlight, and other plants that would live. Somehow, the plant got something like above 95% success in over 300 trials.

Also, just think on a very broad scale about how plants exist. Their ability to spread their genes, depends on their ability to interact with mobile organisms in the environment. What is the purpose of pollen; for instance, without any bees? What is the purpose of their brightly shaped flowers, if not to attract certain organisms that are beneficial to their survival? These things don't happen "by accident," but rather through some subtle intelligence. Intelligence that is present in all life on Earth, and in all manifestations of the universe.

Fungi spores, and some fruits' seeds, are capable of resisting extreme pH levels, temperatures, radiation levels, etc. These things are designed as such because they are effective! If that's not evidence of unified intelligence, then I would ask you to consider the irony of that, as you are an organism that respires using the byproduct of photosynthesis... ;)

4. It doesn't matter, because the human race will not cease to move forward until we either kill ourselves or become something else entirely, so to worry about the implications is just pointless to a fault. As far as trying to protect ourselves, that's fine, but ASSUME that nothing good could come from it, that's unreasonable.