Quantum Board Questions

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Albert.Hofmann, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Im starting my first 3x3 grow tent and have decided on quantum boards for my light source. After reading through so many post, it seems you cant go wrong with these. I understand for a 3x3 one would need 270 watts coming from the wall. My question is would the HLG 260 be enough light to grow 3 plants with SCROG in organic soil? Im not so much concerned in quantity and very concerned with quality.

2. It would be but 320 would be so much better

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I use a 320 with the 324 boards in 3500k. Then I have 60 watts worth of 660 and 730nm red booster strips

• Like Like x 1
  4. I also think a 320 will work better. You might want to consider which boards to get for best light spread.

5. I run a HLG 320w xl Rspec in a 2x4x5 tent and I think it's perfect for flowering. Overkill for veg but I'll take over than under anyday. Dimmable as well if needed.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  6. For a 3x3 u could run (4) qb132s with a hlg-320h-54a

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Thanks for the advice! Im trying to stay budgeted for this grow, but I'm willing to spend a little more for lighting than originally planned.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Four qb132 will give you great spread for a SCROG grow and will cost less than two qb96. Only thing is they are out of stock at the moment so you have to wait for them to restock
    QB132 V2 Quantum Boards

9. Could get them from ebay or amazon

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Buy the 320h Driver and buy the boards that you can afford. Try it out. If it doesn't get you where you want to be add boards as funds allow. LIke you said Quanity isn't paramount so you would grow amazing quality bud with 270watts in a 3x3. I personally would just buy a 315watt CMH with a hortilux bulb and call it day but you would get slightly better coverage with the boards.

• Like Like x 3
  11. #11 ShinyMoon, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2019
    That is an awesome light for the price. I would've jumped all over that if it had been available when I bought my lights

12. I like the idea of buying a bigger driver thaan you need. And as funds allow add more boards.

I love the vast information available on this forum. But when everyone is talking lights they are referring to the very best /optimal setup for that grow space.
    You are perfectly capable of growing excellence plants with a little less light. Just takes more training and moving lights around.

Although I have a massive lighting project planned I am making due with 4 T8 floro tubes.

My first harvest won't bust the scales but it certainly looks top quality buds.

Long story short upgrade as you go.
    Unless you have a quota to meet

• Like Like x 2
  13. Thanks, thats about what I was thinking. Everybody wants to make sure they have the top of the line to ensure the outcome is as best as possible. I just want to make sure I'm not shorting myself in any way. For my small scale medication needs of two people I just want to make sure I'm getting quality product from quality genetics.

14. This is today another 2-4 weeks left.
    20190722_092914.jpg 20190722_172159.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  15. No you can't. The qb132 is a 36 volt board. You need an HLG-320h-36a or you can also run them in series on the HLG-320h-c2100a.

=) The 54 will put out 54 volts. Good for qb288 v1's, rspecs, and qb96v2's.

16. Two of the q288 rspec boards can be ran in series on an HLG-320h-c2800a. The max current rating of those new boards is 3000mA now with the included reds.

That should be plenty of power and coverage for a 3x3. It's only about $75 more then a qb132 setup which would be all white leds and not as good of a light spectrum.

Get two of these then you can hang them in a square shape for the 3x3 instead of long ways like the qb260 two board kit.
    QB288 V2 Rspec & Slate 2 Single Combo

Just add a meanwell HLG-320h-c2800a driver to them in series, hang them up, wall mount the driver, and you're done.

less then $300 with wire and everything.

• Like Like x 2
  17. I also grow weed for my wife and I. I use 4x4 grow areas instead of 3x3 but if you smoke a reasonable amount of flower a 3x3 is enough for about a pound at harvest with skill. I like to have more then enough so I went with a 4x4. IMO it's the largest size you want for personal. 5x5 is kind of silly large for a personal grow space. It starts to take a lot of power to fill as well.

What I would recommend is you get a second 3x3 tent and use that one for a veg space. With a veg crop going at the same time you can always be flowering. You get fresh bud every 2 months + approx instead of every 4 months or so. It's also easier/more efficient to buy a lower power separate veg lighting system of a different spectrum then to use the same bloom lighting for veg. You will also veg better plants because you can use a more blue leaning spectrum to minimize stretch.

• Like Like x 2
  18. I run 420 watts in a 3x3.( 4 3500k & 2 2700k) 2- Lrs 150 & 2- 60w lpf drivers. This will b my first harvest from this setup. 20190327_164152.jpg 20190627_063828.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 3
  19. the Mean Well HLG drivers have a very high cost ... Recently I bought a Chinese QB288, withstands a maximum of 2.4A and maximum output of 48V, I had the idea to use Mean Well LRS-150-48V to run this board at most ... You could give me tips on how to connect, and how to reduce the current generated by the LRS-150 (which is 3.3A) so as not to burn the card. Thank you in advance for your attention !!!!

20. I wouldn't get that driver as its not rated for use with LED. Aside from that the open case makes it not ideal for use in a high humidity environment like a grow room.
    This driver will cost you $10-$15 more but will meet your needs, is waterproof and rated for working with LED.
    lpc-150-2450 Stock and Price by Distributor