Quantum board help.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by bfoster2k7, Nov 11, 2017.

1. I have my 4qb 120s set up. Everything works. Lights bright.

My driver is super hot to the touch tho.. Is that normal?. I’m worried I have something wired wrong.

My tent without lights was 71 degrees.. Ran lights for an hour or so and it was 91 degrees inside tent. No fan or anything.

Help?

Sent from my iPhone

2. Yes, the driver does get hot... But meanwell drivers are often really reliable even if you did something wrong. But since I don't run ac I extended the wires and mounted the driver outside my tent

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yes the MeanWells will run a little hot when sitting directly on it above the board. They tend to run a little cooler mounted off to the side somewhere, but not by much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Thanks guys. I will re-wire it and have the driver outside the tent.

5. Which driver did you go with? I just bought 8 panels (4, 3k and 4, 4k) and 2 HLG 240h-c2100a Meanwell drivers. I was under the assumption that these run pretty cool. Maybe that's the panel and not taking into consideration the driver. Hmmm. I may have to mount the drivers outside.

6. Nope its the driver... Even mounted outside I can still feel the heat

7. I have the HLG 240h-c1050a on both my qb260's. It runs about 120 degrees or so. It's not too hot to touch but I can't just leave my hand on it.

I would definitely advise against resting the driver directly on the back of the boards like HLG does with the 65. You're going to introduce a hot spot to the leds that are right under the driver potentially helping cause thermal runaway in the long run. It's sort of important to keep the leds on the boards running at least pretty close to each other in temp.

I really love my wall mount drivers and the meanwells do have a flange with holes where you could wall mount them. I would say that if you do go with a longer wire on the output make sure you don't use 20awg or somthing that small. In a longer wire it's going to get some voltage drop. I would go up to a 16awg wire if you want to run it 10-15feet or so from the driver.

It's also quite nice to not have a driver on the fixture it's much lighter when you go to make adjustments. You could add a quick disconnect for when you move the fixture so you can disconnect the driver wire.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I'm kind of amazed at the posts about these boards running hot. I had to add my bloom lights just to get my temps up to reasonable levels. Just running 4 120 boards for veg, each on a separate driver, and using my bathroom fart fan for exhaust, I couldn't get the tent above 72 degrees. To me they run incredibly cool for the amount of light they put out.

You want to see hot get a qb304 board.... =)

9. I actually wonder if it might be better to run single drivers on each board. The meanwell MDR 60-24 is only $18.50. I have two of them.

I just put my hand on it in the tent. It's cool as a cucumber. I bet you it's not even 100 degrees. It's the coolest running driver I have. I bet you anything that 4 of those mdr 60-24's would run cooler overall then the HLG 240h c2100a from what I've seen. My HLG 240 is like two times hotter then then MDRs.

I also have two meanwell LPV 60-24's and they run quite warm like the HLG's do.

10. I hang mine and well my LPV driver gets rather warm where my ELN driver stays pretty cool. Plus the ELN driver was a few bucks cheaper so win win.

11. I just put my thermometer on top of my MDR drivers. It's been about 5 min. I'm going to check back and post a pick in about 15 min or so when the temp stabilizes. It's the best way I have to measure it. These things run very cool and you can hang a row of them on the wall very easily.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 95 degrees with 2 drivers. Plenty of more room on the rack.
    IMG_0775.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  13. See this. Ya mine is hangn in there temp wise. Try combining 6 cobs with the 260w QB lol. Both drivers are close to each other. Got a fan on em the whole time while there on. That and my 6" inline fan is what is savn me. Even then i had my carbon filter low for a few days and was really tough keeping temps lower then 81. Now that i brought it up again it should be fine. Checked with the laser and heatsinks been showing 95 to 111 at times. Wasnt too worried as long as my plant level temps weren't high.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum