Quality of lumens

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Wiggla, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Hello, I had a question about the color spectrum and lumen output. Fluorescent tubes that are cool white (4100-4200K) put out 1200 lumens/tube. These are also tubes I have read about using during veg. When researching lights online their veg lights put out 6500K and flower are 2700K. I can get these tubes of 5000K tubes at hardware stores also however, they put out less lumens. The 5000K tube puts out 875 lumens and the plant and aquarium tubes put out 750 lumens. This is where I ask what spectrum is perfect for veg? I already know from research that cool white for veg warm white for bloom, and these tubes put out the most lumens by almost 400 lumens/tube. But would I get better results during veg from using 6500K @ 850 lumens, 5000K @ 875 lumens, or 4200K @ 1200 lumens or a specially labeled "plant & aquarium" tube @ 750 lumens? How important is it to match best color temperature with best lumen output?

2. Thanks for the reply told however, the charts didn't educate me on what is a more important color temperature, cool white (4200k @ 1200 lumens), sunlight (5000K @ 875 lumens), or daylight which is 6500K like the tubes sold @ hydroponic websites but putting out 850 lumens. Basically the cool white was suggested on a video and it puts out the most light by almost 400 lumens. I want to use 6500K tubes since that's what's in the websites but if I'm better off using cool whites because of the higher output I'll stick with that.

3. Hey bro, i went out today and bought both a big 4 foot flourescent shop light and i bought one of the growing/aquarium lights. Im only growing 5 so i didnt think id need more than that. The asshole accidently gave me the cool white lights... can i still bloom with those or do i need to go back and get the daylight lights? its still really bright but not sure if it will work... also, the aquarium lgiht has a reddish glow whereas the other has a pure white glow? can someone tell me if this will work
    ps its a closet up, but a pretty big closet

4. you want higher spectrum for vegging, and lower for flowering.

5. I wouldn't really worry about it to much I would worry more about amount of lumens than anything else. I don't know how many plants you plan of growing but tube floros are pretty low in lumens. You can get CFL's that put out 2,700 lumen each and are 42w warm specturm. Plenty of people do both veg and straight to flower with HPS light and theyare 2700K and do just fine for veg.

6. keep the tubes since those have higher output and you will be starting off in veg state anways so that gives you over a month to get differnt tubes or another light. Plus red spectrum is best for the flowering stage and thats what you said your other light produces right?