Q's on fertilizers

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by vagellie007, May 22, 2012.

1. #1 vagellie007, May 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2012
    i have a few q's on how to fertilize my plants and what to use, is there any good fertilizer i can get at a local store? if so how much should i delude it? what about miracle grow? will it hurt the plant or effect the taste? and input would be great

2. I did not have good luck with miracle grow last year, not the time release soil or the powder, it lacked too much of the real stuff this plant needs and that darn time release made adding anything impossible. I'm going with fox farms this year, I don't know what's available in your area.

what I learned last year was fertilizing has to wait till it's needed, if you start with the right soil, you should be good to go till flowering at least, but if you are already planted then you need to wait till it shows a defecency in the leaves.

I know some people use something called super thrive, just to boost the soil with nutrients, nothing too specific that will burn the plant. You can also mix molasses 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water, that feeds the microbes that break down the nutrients so the plant can feed on them better, I did this once just before flowering, and once in the middle of flowering, five gallons each time, plant came out great so I guess it works :D

But fertilizing is a touchy thing when you are just starting, I burned the crap out of a couple plants last year :( so be sure and wait till it needs it, don't panic like I did, remember, it is a weed, and very durable.

good growing to you

3. Hey vagelli

Youll get lots of opinions on this topic so ill give you mine.

Cannabis needs different ferts at different times during the season. For the first 2 months, it needs none if the soil they are planted in is reasonably suffiecient. Its hard to fert young plants and benefit from it.

Watch the big fan/shade leaves. These are your canary in the coal mine. They will tell you if the plant is deficient. Whenever a cannabis plant is deficient in nutes, the largest, lowest leaves will yellow first and then on up the plant. If you see large leaves yellowing, start the Weakly weekly method. 1/2 doses each week.

I recommend a water soluble fert. When you see a deficiency, a water soluble fert can be applied and within 48 hrs, the problem cured and the plant looks good again. Other types of ferts cant act so quickly.

Starting in early july or so, the plant will begin to grow significantly. This preflower growth would be known as stretch indoors, but outdoors it means that 60% of the plants overall seasonal growth will occur in the 60 day period between july and sept. Its my view that to optimize this rapid growth, one needs water solubles with a high nitrogen content with weekly applications. A large plant can take a good dose of nutes.

Continue high nitro through the first 2 weeks of flower, but then discontinue and start weakly 1/2 doses) weekly doses of a bloom fert. High nitrogen in the soil during flower will be dissapated through the leaf surface, creating an enviroment for blight, Powdery mildew and botryitis. Stop bloom ferts 6 weeks into flower

With regaurd to miracle grow, ive used it for 40 years with success. There are better ferts but they arent sold down at the store and they cost out the ass. I harvest more than 1lb of weed on many plants using nothing but miracle grow. In the 60's - 80's, there werent any cannabis specific ferts and all of the how to books recommended MG.

Im sure others will disagree, but thats my 2 cents. good luck with your grow.

4. Miracle grow works fine - organic folks will speak out against it. I grow as organically as possible, but it can be expensive, and a lot of us are on a tight budget. I grow my weed to smoke, not to sell, so what I put in it makes no different to anyone else.

If you use MG, definitely dilute it to half the dosage for the first few feedings because that shit is HOT. If you're looking for cheap fertz and don't care about organics, buy the Shultz dropper plant food. I've had great success with it in the past. It's extremely inexpensive as well.

5. Thanks. For the input guys, as for trasplanting do just double the pot size or is more better for growing