Qb288 question

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by highsmyth420, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Just curious as to whether you could run 3* qb288s off of a 240watt driver?
    Reason being i have two in one tent dimmed to 160watts now for vegging, was looking at a smaller cloning tent and thought I may be able to add a third board.
    keep two in veg and drop third into clone tent off of the same driver and turn driver to full splitting wattage to about 80 watts each...I realise with wattage this is doable but would voltage etc be a limiting factor or will she still fire up all 3 no worries?
    Thanks in advance

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

2. What model is the driver

• Like Like x 1
  3. They are 4000k lm301b boards off alixpress not authentic hlg....[​IMG]

4. Should work if you wire them in parallel. The current will be split between the three boards.

5. Cheers for the reply...currently running them in parallel so should be easy to add a third into the mix.and the driver should pull enough amps?

6. It will split the current evenly among the 3 boards which may not be ideal in your case. You will need to find a happy medium between the flower and veg space. A small driver for one board is relatively cheap $40 and is a better choice

7. Already have a seperate bloom space was hoping to keep 160watts in veg with two panels and drop third panel running 80watts I to a small clone tent. Have 8 panels and many drivers already but thought I'd try this route as I don't need a huge amount of power available to clone tent so seems a waste to get a whole new driver and board to only run at 60-80watts

8. Also does the driver have enough current/amps etc to light up all 3 boards

9. And not in the US so everything is fairly expensive after shipping etc so trying to keep cost to a minimus since it's just for cloning and first week of veg sort of thing

10. Yes

• Like Like x 1
  11. 80 watts for a clone chamber is a huge amount I was thinking it would be too powerful actually

12. Oh yeah I gotcha...may lower veg lights a bit and then I could possibly dim all 3 down to only put out about 60watts each..do you think this would be more bareable for them...I have another clone chamber running 2*30watt led bars from grotek and that seems ok for now so the clones for the new tent would all have probably been rooted in smaller tent so would probably be more for vegging for short periods once rooted
    Thanks heaps for all your input

13. The driver (unless dimmed) will always provide the same amount of total current, 5Amp in the case of your driver. When you wire in parallel the current will get split evenly between the boards. 2 boards in paralled will get 2.5Amps each while 3 boards will get 1.66Amp each, in other words they will be a bit dimmer now since the current is split into more boards. All this does really is spread the light better but not really give you more light except for effeciency gains.

• Like Like x 1
  14. So if I ran the the voltage etc at full and just dimmed wattage slightly do you think this is feasible or not worth it?

15. Would 3 panels run the boards around the highlighted specs or am I missing something?[​IMG]

16. Would it still give me roughly the same amount of useable light running two in my veg tent at full(currently dimmed to 160) and than I could drop the third one into my clone/veg tent?
    Not wanting to increase light in one tent just be able to spread the extra into another small tent

17. Worth would depend on your goals in adding a third board

About that yes

sounds about right.

18. Awesome thanks for your advice I'm a bit rough with the technical stuff haha...
    Now i feel a bit more confident in making the purchase
    Again thanks heaps

• Like Like x 1