Qb ?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by smokeandfly1224, Oct 8, 2019.

1. So I have a 4x8 veg room with 900 actual watts of led and a 8x8 flower room with a 1000watt hps and will probably add a 400watt in a month or so when it gets colder. Which QBs and how many should I get for each room?

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Are you ok with some basic DIY?

3. These are what you want:
    QB96 Elite V2 Engine

They are on sale now too!
    Each one of these boards will flower a 2x2 space so for the 8x8 flower space (64sqf) you need 16 units. For power you want between 2k and 2.5k watts so I would go with four of these 600w meanwell drivers (each can power four boards):
    HLG-600H-54a Stock and Price by Distributor

You could use the same board for veg (and they will veg a 3x3 per unit) but you don't need something so powerfull. For veg I would say go with either three packs of these:
    QB132 V2 Quantum Boards

or three packs of:
    QB132 V1 Quantum Boards

Whichever you pick you want the 4000k spectrum for veg (might only be available on amazon).
    The second option is an older model but will still kick ass in veg and you will save some $$. Each one of these packs is four boards so for power I would go with three of these (each will power four boards):
    HLG-240h-36a Stock and Price by Distributor

Oh and the drivers I linked are for wiring in parallel so you will need to get some 5-way Wago connectors for this project (unless you want to do series wiring but you will need different drivers for that. the drivers for parllel wiring also allow for more potential power)

4. Eight on I'll probably go ahead and upgrade the vevo room this winter then do the flower room after a harvest or 2 cuz 16 panels and 4 drivers is going to be expensive, il might just go with 10 panels and 2 drivers cuzb8 dont plan to fill the whole 8x8 wall to wall and my veg room has autos in it also, you think I should add a 3000k panel for a little more spectrum?

5. The qb132's come in four packs, so you can get two packs, or 8 boards. should still be ok in a 4x8 for veg.
    For veg I would go all 4000k.

6. Even with the autos in there?

7. That's a good question. Do autos want the same intensity and spectrum of light like photo plants :confused_2:
    Maybe @Organic sinse would know.

8. I have used 4000k cobs to flower autos. I prefer 3500k for flower, but 4000 seems to work. 4000k is the jack of all trades spectrum. Good for veg and flower. I currently flower with a mix of 3500k and 4000k.
    HTH
    Cheers
    Os

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. What about intensity levels? Usually with quantum boards it's recommended between 30-40watts/sqf for flower and about 20watts/sqf for veg. Would autos enjoy the same level of power as photos?

10. I have to answer this sideways, cause I use individual cobs for each plant. For veg, I use one 4000k cob at 40 watts per plant. Any size plant I have ever grown, that’s enough. In flower I run one 3500k cob at 40 watts directly overhead, and one 4000k cob as angled side light, per plant. I have turned them up to 50 watts during flower, but dont’t notice any difference.
    HTH
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 1
  11. So I guess I'm gonna go with 12 qb96 panels and 3 drivers for flower and 8 qb132 panels with 2 drivers for veg. What size wiring do I need?

12. I use 18awg stranded copper wiring. You want to make sure you get wire thats rated for high voltage, 300v at least.
    You will need a soldering iron to tin the tips on the wire, or you can get solid core copper wire instead but its a bit harder to work with (not as flexible). You should also get some 5-way Wago connectors, and you'll need an AC plug to put on each driver so it can plug to the wall.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Depending on the type, indicated by the final letter in the series. So the (A) series has built in dimming screws. The (B) series has wires to install an external dimmer or potentiometer. The (AB) series has both.
    Example: Hlg 600h 54a* Hlg 600h 54b*

• Like Like x 2
  14. Fact check this btw!

15. I went ahead and got the first 4 pack of 132s with a 240h-36a driver just gotta wait for them to get here in the mail. Do I have to worry about light or heat burn from these leds? If not cool is so how far away should I keep them? I plan on running them at 200 watts and replacing one of my one of the cob leds i have in veg now. The leds i have now are supposed to be 300 actual watts so from what I read the qbs should out perform the cobs by a lot

16. Also what's your opinion on the 240w kingbrite qbs on alibaba? I only ask cuz it's like $125 for the whole kit instead of $140 for boards, $70 for a driver and another $25ish to build a frame

17. I was pointed to Tbone Shuffle and he seems to have lighting dialled in, really good info for me anyways.

Sent from my SM-G9650 using Tapatalk

18. I like the 288s over a 96 elite. 288s will give u a better spread of light. Use 5000k in veg and 3000k in flowering. Add a couple qb18 strips for red in the flower tent