Qb wiring

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Slimjesus313, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Mean well help

On the outboard 18 gauge awg solid core.

But on the input can you use any guage extention cord and hard wire to input?

Does the guage matter?
    Is there a better way?

I was thinking 14 gauge extention cord cut and hard wire tonmean well

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. That’s what I did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. What guage?

4. Mines 16 guage

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. Used 16G extension cables for all my wiring except for 6” of 18G solid core from the very end of the output to the board itself.

That’s with the QB96 tho... what are the connectors like on your boards?

6. #6 Blue Dot, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    I'm sorry to derail if OP isn't using QB96, but do you know if the QB96 V2 will accept a lager wire than 18 gauge?

Edit: Got my lights and wanted to update my own question. 18 awg is likely the biggest one would want to go for the connectors on the QB96.

• Like Like x 1
  7. There’s no pictures

8. Which QB’s are you using and are you running in series? This looks like a series diagram

9. 4 hlg 132 v2 4k boards
    Mean Well HLG 240H-C1750A
    Running in series
    18 awg solid core

And 8 ft, 16 gauge tool replacement cord for input.

10. I believe that looks right. I’d make sure someone who knows series wiring confirms. All my QB’s are ran parallel.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. 18awg extension cord is find for the input at that wattage level. You could go 16 if you want if you use one longer then 10-15 feet or so. You can also just put a 120v 3 prong plug right on the end of the factory driver wire and use a short extension cord to reach it instead of splicing one on.

• Like Like x 1
  12. This is how I wired my last driver and I love it. It was for parallel wiring so you may not want to use an extension cord for the output. I built a new ghetto frame for my boards today to get them higher up and it was so nice to just be able to unplug each board after it cooled off and remove it from the grow to make my changes. The modular nature of my wiring setup is pretty nice. The connectors are very reliable. 120v male and female plugs are cheap and easy to get. I rob wire from cheap walmart extension cords instead of buying wire. IMG_1090.JPG IMG_1092.JPG IMG_1093.JPG IMG_1094.JPG

13. Just don't plug those boards directly into the wall like a dumbass and you're fine. You could use an extension cord with as many outputs as you want for the driver output or use a power strip to plug in multiple boards at the same voltage level and split the driver current in parallel. For series all you would have to do is make the connection to the boards different. You could use the same setup for everything else as far as driver wiring. Remote located drivers are best.

14. Nope. 18g max. I used thermostat wire specifically myself. It was dual solid strand separately insulated and then both of those are sheathed as well. So very solid wire that looks nice and neat. I’ll snap a photo later if u wanna see it

I love Tbones modular design. I built my lights around that exact concept. I LOVE them being modular. So sexy

• Like Like x 2
  15. I was foolish to think the 14 awg tool replacement cord I bought would fit. Had I waited until I got the lights in before purchasing the rest of the setup, I would have realized it would not have worked. I ended up using snap connectors to go from the 14g to 18g solid core lamp wire. That was the only 18g wire I could find locally.

If you want to share photos of your setup that would be cool. It's not my thread so you can decide if you want to do that here or in PM.

Tbones modular design is very nice. I got advice from him when wiring up my lights and it worked out great. I almost went modular in how they hang, but ended up building a frame to house everything in. So while I can remove a light or add more pretty easily, they all hang at the same level.

16. #19 Slimjesus313, Feb 17, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    Wanted to start off thank you all very much i appreciate all the knowledge and input love you all!!

Heres a little update... I wired the input using heat shrink connectors then electrical taped them individually and over them all.
    I got this 2 by 2 shelf from work, the mean well will be mounted on top and i have metal s hooks to hang the lights from.
    I have solid 18 awg (to run lights in series), and ratchet light hangers (to move the whole shelf unit collectively), and my ph meter.

I also got everything black majic soil,nutes, and ph all for free any opinions? IMG_65041.jpg 20190216_212700.jpg IMG_65051.jpg IMG_64981.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  17. Are these 120’s or 132’s?