QB LED Lighting Advice

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by design_desire, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Hey guys,

I am currently designing a stealthy grow cab (just under 2'x2' footprint) and don't want to leave any stone unturned, so I have been researching HLG's stuff. This is all for my first grow.

Before this, the front runner for my lighting solution was https://www.amazon.com.au/VIPARSPECTRA-Dimmable-Par450-450W-Light/dp/B01M084LIE, and to be honest, I still might go this way because:

- All in one
    - No assembly required
    - Affordable
    - Can be dimmed in each lighting channel
    - Having an overpowered light for my current space which is dimmable could allow for expansion in the future without needing to buy new lights

I have found an Australian distributor of the HLG stuff, but they don't offer everything. The options are between the QB65, and the QB300. (The QB260 is just too long for the space I am designing) The available range can be seen here: Horticulture Lighting Group (HLG) LED Grow Lights – Quick Bloom Lights

All of the positive reviews and experiences for the QB stuff I've seen here definitely gives me pause on viparspectra. I like the lack of 'blurple' light too.

The QB65 doesn't look too good for flowering, so I am assuming the QB300 would be better. Since it's dimmable, too, it ticks those last two points listed above.

After looking up how to assemble everything, I feel like I would be fine. I just need to rationalise spending more than 3x as much haha.

So, what would you do in my position? And should I consider the 3000K or 4000K if I want it to be used as my sole light for both veg and flower?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! =]

2. I would get 3k for start to finish. The qb300 is way too powerful for a 2x2 area. The 300 can easily cover a 3x3 area or slightly larger. That's more then twice the footage coverage that you need.

I think two HLG 65's would be a great setup. You could go up to 3. That would be 180 watts. 2x2 is 4 square feet. 3 HLG 65's would be 45 watts per square foot. More then enough for flower. Not sure you could fit 3 boards in a 2x2. You could also unplug one of the boards for veg. You can veg a 2x2 with a single HLG65. That is the recommended veg coverage area. I veg a 4x4 with 4 qb120's and it's more then enough power.

3. Thanks for the reply!

Would using the QB300 permanently dimmed to the point where the wattage is more appropriate be any better or worse than using multiple QB65’s at full strength?

I have future plans to setup a proper grow room for vegetables and could see myself using the QB300 for this larger area.

4. It's just that the qb300 is so much more power then you need for that space. It's more then twice the power you need.

Have you seen the new boards? They just came out with a new board that is made around a new diode. I'm excited to see what it can do. It's the qb324.

They only have a few fixtures out right now. I haven't seen a single review or seen a fixture run yet. They're that new.

If I were you I would be looking for one of these new boards. The samsung based boards have been out for a year and a half now or more. The new qb324 uses Nichia diodes.

There's a single board fixture that would be a much better fit then the 300 for your space. Ask if they can get you one in Australia. It's up to 160 watts capacity on this slate 2 heatsink. With a better heatsink the boards is capable of 250 watts max rated power.
    QB324 with Slate 2 Single Combo

5. I'll definitely look into it. It sucks getting certain products shipped here haha.

I can't see dimensions of the QB324 on that page though. Are you sure it would fit in my proposed space? What kind driver would I need to source for this option? Also, that particular package appears to come with two boards. Would I use just one (assuming so) for my space? Also, is the optics kit necessary?

And not to beat a dead horse, but I really want to solidify my understanding. Is there any actual disadvantage to having a light that is too powerful if the fixture is run at say 50% of its full power through dimming? (Just incase I can't source the QB324. Also, looking at the 65's dimensions, having two would just be too wide for my proposed space)

Thanks again! I feel like I'm learning heaps! =]

6. The fixture I linked you is a kit that comes with driver and everything needed to put the light together. It's a single board. That fixture is only maybe a little over a foot wide. You could fit it in there.

You can fit qb120's in a 2 foot space. They're rectangles. They're 9.5" x 11". They will even fit in there long ways.