Q on closet grow

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by chronicmanRPB, Feb 24, 2006.

1. i wanna start a grow in my closet the size is 4 feet long 1foot,6in wide and 4 feet tall.i was just thinking abt getting a 400 watt hps prolly from herehttp://www.insidesun.com.
    Do you think this will cover around 6-8 plants with a fan all of this on timer.and also ill be using MG or should i keep it organic?also is hps good for veg state or should i buy a MH bulb for veg then switch?any info?

2. I think that a 400watt would be a be much, i mean that room is pretty small, i think that the only problem would be height. With a 400watt hps you need to keep them pretty far unless you have a very good ventilation cooling system in you hps hood light. Then you can get it closer. And i would start with a smaller number of plants unless you want to ScrOG it, that space just inst that big. Personally if you have the money i would get a MH as well. I think they are a bit better for veg as are CFL. Your choice. The MH and CFL both give of a bluer part of the color spectrum, which some believe is better light for veg, i think. And hps has a more red light and that is better for flowering. Anyone else agree or can say it better? Is this goign to be your first grow. If so that will be a good spot to grow in. Small, easy to manage. You will though need a good ventilation system in your grow box as well. Hope that helps a bit.

3. agreed.

a 400 watt HPS would be a bitch to keep properly ventilated (don't get me wrong, it could be done)

My suggestion would be to go with CFL, just cause that's what's always worked best for me (not to mention that they're much cheaper). I've done two successful closet grows using about the same space as you have, with CFL's using ScrOG both times

4. what wattage cfl's should i use 100 watt?there ther spiral ones right?

5. Yes, they are the spiral ones.

General rule of thumb is 50 watts per sq. foot.

Good luck with your grow!

6. Why not just get a smaller Hps like 240 or so.
    I ran a closet about the same size as yours and it was plenty of light. I had a shelf about knee high for the plants, and underneath that I had a flouro for the clones and mother. Is was a continuous 3 week cycle.