Q: Can I veg with HPS? ... A: Yes!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Lay Low, Sep 4, 2011.

1. [​IMG]

See. It works very well. This is 3 plants.

2. Quality post, straight to the point of a highly debatable topic! They look great!

What size wattage on that light?

3. I messed up a longer post last night and was too high to want to type anything else. That's why it was so short, lol. Thanks though.. :smoke:

It's a 150 watt HPS. I love the versatility of the light. It's all self contained, no separate ballast to worry about.

I've been saying that HPS is great for veg for a long time, but people always argue about it and make HPS sound so inferior. I like HPS over everything else for veg. The growth rate is fantastic, and there is no stretch like people say there is. The most common negative said about using HPS for veg is that it makes plants stretch more than other lights like MH or fluorescents. I don't agree with that and believe it to be a myth.

4. No one said you couldn't veg with HPS. Before I went LED thats what I did.

5. People don't say you can't veg with HPS, but they say that it's inferior to other types of lighting, i.e., light sources with more blue spectra. I disagree.

6. What lighting schedule you running them on for veg, and how's the heat from the 150 watt?

7. I dig it dude...I'd proabably go with an MH before my HPS to veg, but I'd take HPS over my 6500K-CFL's in a fartbeat. Not at all revolutionary, just my 2. Nice plants LL!

8. I run 24/0 in veg, and the heat is non existent pretty much. I mean I have to handle the heat, but it's very easy to do so. It's hard to explain the way my closet is constructed, but it's perfect for vegging plants. Basically though I have 3 tiny desk fans that bring air in from the bottom of the closet with the door open slightly, and directs the cool air around the plants and upwards right into the light. Temps directly below the light are about 2-3 degrees above ambient, and ambient stays about 74-75 degrees. So right at the canopy it's about 76-78 degrees.

9. i vegged all my plants from my first grow under that same 150w hps....worked out great, ive germed my 2nd batch under the 150w hps again this time around, with a 6500k cfl right over the pots with the 150w hps about 1ft above that. Once theyre bigger though im gunna try vegging with my 400w mh.

10. what kind of bulb is that? ive got a 600w hps with an eye hortilux bulb and was wondering about using it for veg. mine seems to be alot more of a red spectrum than yours is lookin. i was thinking about a conversion bulb, but that looks great.

11. I "vegged" some vegetables in my indoor grow last summer under 400w HPS and they loved it. Not sure if the growth cycles are the same or not though as cannabis. They are still growing and producing tons of peppers, but its transplanted outside now.

12. you can also flower with HID...

13. That I don't agree with.

14. Im currently vegging under HPS... all's going well so far.

15. The color in the picture isn't the actual color. I did manual white balance in my camera in order to make the leaves look their natural color. I doubt the bulb is even a spectrally enhanced one (horticultural, blue enhanced, etc).

16. HPS is HID...

17. Thinkin it was a trolling joke of some kind; least that's the way I took it....if I was wrong I'm sorry on many levels.

18. I like it when someone posts something they must be "a troll man" people need to chill with that! but nah I was thinking MH, my mistake

19. My apologies, man...I did not mean to say you are a troll. I misunderstood the post to be sort of a 'You guys are talking about nothing here...' type of deal, which if it were the intent would have been a trollish remark. I'm gonna go try to pry my foot out of my mouth now if you don't mind too much.

20. I thought I'd put a picture in this thread of the actual color of the light just for the sake of completeness. This is actually more orange than what it actually looks like, but it's the closest my camera can get with it's available white balance options. It's slightly more pale and yellow in real life.

[​IMG]

Attached Files: