Q about ganja and ethics

Discussion in 'General' started by password1234, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Hey there guys! just wanted to get your opinions.. any would be great!

So heres the story, i am a father of 3 (all in their teens now) and an occasional smoker. by that i mean once every so months when im with my sister, and my fav, sunday mornings after a jog and before hopinh in the shower :D
    i love serving breakfast on those sunday mornings and just sitting down the one time we can all be at the table

..well anyways, my moral compass has never changed. i never thought of getting high as, well getting high and it being illegal and all, but it has always been a method of meditation for me. long story short, my wife found one of my bongs i had left in the bathroom, and she got very upset (we are, well mostly they are, a religious family.. my wife and i meeting in a church during our teen years)

my question for yall is, what do you think.. should i stop? any other thoughts?

cheeeeers guys!

ps sorry for the long read :cool:

2. Ask her if she has seen any problems that could be related to this.

Seeing as how you don't smoke often, and when you do, you don't do much that could harm anything, I don't see a problem with it.

Smoke before shower, serve breakfast, eat.

I see nothing harmful in this at all. Atleast you're being responsible with it.

3. I think if you enjoy it then she should respect that. Then again, if she really wants you to stop, then you should also respect that. When it comes down to life management situations such as those, it's truly up to you. Do you mind if i ask how the confrontation went down?

4. Honesty is the best policy

Put all your cards on the table.

5. As for the legalities:

Many people (your wife?) think that laws define morality. That may or may not be true depending on the specific law, so, thinking logically, you should separate the two completely.

Are laws against murder moral? Of course. Same for robbery, rape, etc. But, as I see it, as long as I'm not physically harming anyone else, nor destroying or stealing their property, then leave me alone. Whatever inanimate objects I may possess aren't anyone else's business.

The problem is that governments pass laws to make whatever they want to do, legal. Think about it: Hitler didn't break any laws.

Frederic Bastiat wrote a short book called "The Law" around 150 years ago. One of his points is that law is a tool of plunder used by the powerful. The powerful make everything they want to do legal, and what they don't want YOU to do, illegal.

This valuable little book is a classic and is available to read online: The Law, by Frederic Bastiat

6. Ask her what she thinks wrong with it? Tell her you also barely smoke and you like it. Make her watch the union. Idk man, I'm not married and won't be for like another 10 years

7. #7 Blaze, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2012
    Tell her weed is gods creation lol

8. thanks for the responses! :D

she was pretty cool about it. waited till the kiddos left, and asked if we could talk while i was watching some baseball. 'did you start smoking again?' she asked me, me panicking and saying no. she then goes on and shows me the evidence, darn. i respond by saying it was one of my old ones from back in the day :cool:

she gives the the old stairdown, raising her brows (one of my weak points, and she knows it lol) and says 'okay' and walks away. proceeds with giving me a to-do list lol.

>little note, we have been together for 20ish yrs counting before the vows. she knew i smoked back in the day, didnt mind it but also didnt want to try it. i had stopped once we had our first, but just started again just recently.

wasnt to sure if she was joking around, but she asked me if i was high during some past family times, which made me lol! i havent really grown up maturity wise since the good ol days, so im pretty much a goofball with my kids, laugh at the most inappropriate times, really got into the whole 'thats what she said' thing with the kiddos, even still giggle when the misses and i... you know :p

as of now, im thinking of just being honest with her and telling her my thinking of the subject.

wish me luck and thanks guys! :D

9. hmm, i havent really though of it upon that way.
    the book also seems interesting, ill be sure to give it a look
    cheers mate!