PVC Frame for grow room

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by roots3003, May 20, 2011.

1. I'm about to try to make one. Any suggestions or advice for or against this type of setup? Seems easier than framing with wood, and it seems like it should be able to hold the weight of some mylar as walls and lights from the top. Any input is appreciated.

2. I would not try to hang mylar only by the edges on a pvc frame, you will want to mount that mylar to something.

3. Ok..you don't think it will be able to take the weight?

4. Mylar is too flimsy to serve as walls by itself. And impossible to achieve true air- and light-seal with just mylar to pvc.

5. basic wood framing is fairly easy...if you need help, ill be more than happy to...

6. I used wood to frame out a corner in a room. Then used some of that heavy duty huskie plastic from home depot and a tarp zipper. Took like 2 hrs and 25-30 bucks

7. Guys, I have the PVC frame built and I am farily impressed with how it looks and is holding up under my array of CFL's. However, I am slowly realizing that this is not going to work in the long run. I have a large room to work with, and plan on getting HPS lights and all the good equiptment when I have the money...so it doesn't really make sense to skimp out on the room itself. And I just don't think the PVC can hold the weight of lights, scrubbers, fans, etc.

So the new project will be to frame with wood and see how many of these pvc connectors I can return ;P I am a total newb when it comes to wood working..and growing for that matter. The room in question is an upstairs bedroom with carpeting, a ceiling fan, a ceiling vent, and one window. Question: Would it be better to:

A) Simply throw a wall in the middle of the room, going all the way from floor to ceiling, dividing it into 2 sections? Then put hooks in the ceilings and hang every thing from chains? I would block light from the window and then use one section for veg and the other for flowering. The problem I could see with this is the fan and ceiling vent getting in the way. Or
    B) Instead of just making on wall from floor to ceiling, I would frame a box that is 5' wide, 7 feet deep, and 6 feet tall. This would be the flowering room. I would run extra boards across the middle of the top of the frame to hold lights, fans, etc. This would eliminate the problem of things on the ceiling getting in the way. It also seems easier to hang the mylar this way.

I'm also trying to make this something that I could take down in the next year or 2 if I decide to sell this house. And hopefully the room would look decent after. Is that possible ? Will I have to rip up the carpet?

Sorry for all the questions , just a noob in need of help. bcharley, i'll take any help you offer, or anyone else for that matter.

8. You should build a box, for a few reasons. First and foremost, being a news you shouldn't be setting up so large as dividing an entire room. Plus doing so would require some significant anchor bolts going into the walls and ceiling as well as possibly caulk or similar to air- and light-seal it. Build it with the idea in mind of needing to take it down one day.

9. I will take that advice. So a box it is. It shouldn't be a problem doing it on carpet right? I'm kind of picturing a large wood box(5'x7'6') just sitting there and wondering if it will be wobbely/flimsy...in other words will I need to secure to the existing walls somehow?

10. I meant 5'x7'x6'

11. I would use 3/4 in ply wood on a 2x4 frame. I would make it 7.5Wx5Dx6H... that way u can have a small isle in the middle to tend to your crop :). Hang a 600 or 1000 hps on either side and go to town. And I highly reccomend the cool tube reflectors.... I ran a 400w with a cooltube and 148cfm fan and stayed right around 79F

12. Sounds like a plan..why are you adding the 1/2" of width? Does that make the dimensions right to run a 2x4 down the middle or something? Like I said, i'ma noob with building enclosures. Just wondering..it might make my entery into the room a little tight if I go any bigger on the depth.

I was just planning on wrapping the 2x4 frame with mylar inside and black plastic outside, or possibly drywalling it? Or is the plywood that you mentioned going to work better? I guess cost makes a difference too..not sure which is cheaper.

13. You also could get a cheap storage cabinet at Walmart or Home Depot and build that out to be a grow cab. Would blend in better. Or, go to Goodwill and get an old dresser and retrofit it -- cut off the drawer fronts and caulk them onto to front, cut off the back or a side panel and re-attach with hinges, etc.

14. I'm going to go with the wood frame for sure. I know if I do something smaller and/or cheaper, I will regret it. I also like the idean of being able to walk in the "box" and not have to crouch over, and also be able to get alot of buds.
    So , any input on the frame and coverings, etc. is GREATLY appreciated. I will deal the specifics as far as lights and stuff later.

15. Well if it is something you are wanting to possible move with in two years I would build a flowering box that measured 5Wx5Hx2.5D. I would run 2 400w hps with cooltubes and a good 300cfm fan. Osc fan inside with some 120v axial fans to circulate fresh air in and out of box. For veg I would run a 3Wx3Dx4H box with a 250w MH. And for clones I would run a small box with humidity dome and t5s. What kinda funds are you looking at spending?

16. I don't want to move..just planning for the worst and hoping for the best. I was hope to spend around a couple hundred on the box..not sure what the price of lumber is these days.

17. #17 bcharley2010, May 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2011
    to save some $, get 2x3's instead of 2x4, they should work fine for your room...
    when you frame out the corners, put the 2x3's together so they form a L shape on the outer corner..
    put studs every 14" or 16" on center
    use 1/4"-5/8" ply on walls
    use at least 2.5" wood screws..deck screws are more expensive, but hold better, and galvenized will not rust.
    caulk and seal every nook and cranny...alex plus is my favorite, dries quick and easy to come off your hands

do not use sheetrock, unless it is the greenboard or MR(mold resistant)..i would stay away from it all together...if your humidity gets to high, you will run into mold problems...go with they ply walls, or at least 6ml plastic, i would double up the 6 ml for durability

18. Thanks bro..I definitly need all the tips on the construction that I can get.

19. just re-read the thread, and i agree with toasty.. a pre-built enclosure from homie dopey or lowes would prob be alot easier and suit your needs a little better, untill you get a little more familiar with building. prob would be cheaper too..take a look on their websites, you mite be able to find something that fits in your closet..and its already painted and will blend in..no worrying about airing out paint fumes..and you can customize them in any way you like...
    or you can still go with building a box to fit your exact dimensions..either way im here to help along the way

20. I built my space with PVC made it like a cage 5'x4x4. for the walls I bought some thick plastic from wallys and then used spray glue to stick Mylar, Good thick mylar, to the plastic. Then I just wrapped my cage of PVC with my new mylar walls added a couple of tarp zippers and presto. not the prettiest but its been great for the last year or so. I use a 400 hps, couple of exhaust fans, oscillating fan carbon filter its hydro so I even made a small shelf for air pumps. I fastened it to the wall for safetyand so I could mount my filter its heavy