Purpling stems. Should I worry?

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by weemoney, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Hey all,

This is my first coco grow and today is 14th day from rooted clone. I am seeing purpling stems and leaf stems and I guess am just curious if I should be worried about this or if anyone has any ideas. I've read that cold temps will cause this, but do not feel that is my problem.

Strain: Ceres Kush
    Medium: 50/50 coco/perlite
    Water: 24 hour old tap that starts <=24ppm
    Nutes: GH Flora Series (following simple drain to waste) and CalMag+ @ 2ml/gal and Flying Skull Z17 water cleaner/ph stabilizer
    PH: 5.9-6.1 going in
    Light: 4' 8 lamp HO T5
    Temps are 80-82 at the top of pots

As of right now I am watering every 2 - 3 days, but it seems my medium is staying wetter than what I read everyone else gets with theirs. 

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Attached Files:

2. IMO GH is lacking mg,  My last clones did the same thing, nothing that a little Epson salt won't fix.  Also coco likes to be feed/water every day. 

3. I am feeding with calmag+ every watering, but will try the Epsom.

On the daily feeding I have been a little cautious of that as my coco is still pretty soggy after 2 days. Meaning I can still squeeze water from the bottom of my bags. Should I not worry about that and still water every day?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. Sorry I don't have any exp with grow bags, so I cant give credible water advise on them.  But in my exp,  as long as you have good drainage,  daily or multi daily feeding should be no problems.  You may want to try to up your calmg+.  Seedling and clones in RO water for the first two weeks calls for 5ml/g.  You stated water starting at 54ppm so close to RO.  The 3rd pic shows spots on your leaf blades....which leads me to think 2ml/g just isn't enough.  

A GH rep told me they know GHFlora dosent have enough Mg for most strains of cannabis.

5. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

The spots you see are actually thrip trails which I had just started noticing. Will be treating with some pyrethrum here shortly.

Thank you for your advice, I appreciate it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Grasscity Forum mobile app