Purple Wreck Hermaphrodites!!!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by WesternMAGrower, May 17, 2022.

1. Got me a tough situation. Femanized seeds from DNA Gentics. 4 gorgeous plants. I'd say the healthiest grow I've had yet. Right after flip, I noticed the dredded pollen sacs. NOT nanners. These are true hermies with two distinct male and female flowers. On every plant! If I had more plants going, I would have isolated or killed them immediately. But these are all I got and my stash is getting a little low. I have to try to save them and control the pollen sacs and hopefully get only a few seeds.

Not a ton of info out there on controlling true hermies. I am diligent inn removing the sacs every day, but I've already missed a lower sac that looks to be opened. I sprayed down the plants (risky in flowering I know) which should neutralize the pollen.

Any advice from anyone who has dealt with this? Ive never had a single sac in any grow that I can remember so this is new to me.

Thankfully I have some GG4s in veg so Ill be able to flower them immediately. Appreciate any advice. Here they are (only 3 now...one had way too many sacs) and they are about 3.5 weeks from flip. 20220515_104103.jpg

Sent from my SM-S901U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. A closeup of one of these sacs would be helpful.

3. Pray most of the male bits are sterile (many are) and hope you only get 1000 seeds and not 50,000.
    :)
    One of the strains SG1 had did it for me but to be fair he did warn about it.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  4. I don't have a closeup but I'll try to get one at lights-on tomorrow. Typical sacs.

5. I've read that they can be sterile, so I'm hoping. It'll at least be an interesting experiment.

6. This is the best pic i could get. Looks like I missed these two last night when going through them. The top one that opened but i did spray the plants down last night so hopefully killed the pollen. Screenshot_20220517-093937_Gallery.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. I did a lot of research on this strain, which I probably should have done beforehand. Anyway, apparently there are a lot of complaints about the DNA Genetics RP line of Purple Wreck. Lot's of true hermaphrodites. From what i read they actually pulled the line at one point because of unstable genes. I'm sure theyve worked it out but the problem is I bought these seeds (still in the original container) from a dude who bought them oversees years ago. Nothing I can do about it now besides do my best to pull pollen sacs everyday. It's tedious but these are gorgeous plants. Smell is insane. I do see a couple of seeds forming on the very bottom small buds, but the rest looks ok so far. Im sure I'll get more seeds than i thought i would, but it's for personal use only, so whatevs. Here they are at the end of week 4.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  8. #8 droski456, May 22, 2022
    Last edited: May 22, 2022
    It will be alright bro. Obviously not ideal to have a Hermie happen. But if it's all for personal use. It's not the end of the world. And sometimes there's not much pollen released. I've had killer harvests in the past that hermied in the last few weeks. And only got a few seeds out of a few pounds. So I'd say you'll be fine. Just pay attention to see if you see alot of seeds forming. And just pull off any new Nanners/Hermie parts you see popping up if any going forward. I've had Trainwreck Hermie on me in the past. It was the Arcata Cut. Way back in the day. I use to go through DrGreenthumb out of Canada. His site is still up right now lol. But with all the seedbanks in the US now. No reason for me to go through him anymore. But Trainwreck the real Trainwreck is a finicky plant in my experience. And it is prone to Hermie towards the end of Flower. At least in my experience with her. But she's awesome smoke. I've only had Purple Trainwreck once. It was also very enjoyable. But never grew her. I have a journal on here when I ran the Arcata Cut I'd have to find it. Been 11 years ago. If I were to find it the Budshot of the top Cola has a big Nanner popping out of it lol. It ended up being the best shit out of the whole room.

9. Thanks for the response! These are the "true", genetic hermaphrodites. No nanners like you get from light leaks or stress. I started with 4 and one showed a pollen sac before it even showed any pistils. Then it started growing almost all pistils, but maybe a week into flowering there were sacs everywhere. So i pulled that one and kept the other 3 going, which only had a couple of male flowers each. After reading more about it, i am not as devastated as I was at first. Lots of growers run into this and finish with successful harvests. Kind of a fun experiment really. 4 weeks to go and my GG4s are ready to go in the flower tent right away...after a thorough cleaning of course.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cool Good Luck on the rest of the Grow!

11. Update! Ok so the pollen was definitely viable. I have been picking male sacs off the plants everyday but of course I've missed some and there are definitely seeds, especially on the lower buds. The tops all look to have been spared, for the most part, although I see a couple of seeds here and there.
    They are finishing up now, with only a week or two left. The buds are dense and hard and smell amazing. I will keep everyone posted once I dry and start opening the buds up. Basically, trying to figure out if true hermaphrodites like this are worth the effort to dave. If I onlt get a couple seeds from the tops, I'd call that a win. Fingeres crossed!! Here are a couple pics showing where they're at now.

Attached Files:

12. Good Luck Bro! They do look great tho man. Hopefully it won't be to seedy.

13. Thanks a lot!! I'll know soon enough!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Update. Been drying for 4 days. I put a few smaller buds from the bottom of the plant in a paper bag in front of a fan just to see what I was dealing with. First, just loaded with seeds. Second, amazing flavor! I'm hoping the tops will have fewer seeds, but not counting on it. Lesson learned. I will never try to save a hermie again. But, it's only head weed so, i guess I'll grab an old phone book and await my next harvest (old schoolers will get the reference).

• Like Like x 1
  15. It's all good bro. I've had killer seedy weed before. It was worth a shot honestly. Plus you can always start up another run. And smoke on the Purple Wreck till it's done. I mentioned it before I had a Trainwreck Hermie on me. I know the strain is prone to throw Nanners. I mentioned awhile back that I'd find the picture well I did. I was grow Trainwreck Arcata Cut tho. 20130209_181040.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. That's beautiful! I actually have some GG4 clones I've been vegging so they've been in the flower tent and scrogged for a few days. I should he jarring the wrecks this weekend but even wet without curing the flavor is top knotch.

• Like Like x 1