Purple Stems

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by evergreens, Feb 1, 2012.

1. #1 evergreens, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2012
    My fresh Alien OG clones are getting purple stems. The one on the left already had it then the one on the right started to show it after LST and on the stem getting the most light. I know its not the strain. The light is giving off a good amount of heat but the room my grow box is in is around 60F. I've gave them a couple drops of less than a quarter strength 20-20-20 yesterday but I doubt thats why. Any ideas on whats wrong?

I threw in a pic of Vanilla Berry Kush.:smoke:

Attached Files:

2. What makes you say that?

The vast majority of pot plants will develop some reddish stems somewhere at some point in their lives. Without any symptoms of Phosphorus deficiency or some other problem, there's no reason to think that anything is amiss.

3. #3 1sttimegrower, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2012
    ^ I've never seen a healthy plant have purple stems. Plants get reddish stems as slight deficiencies build up over time; deficiency is evidenced by this pigment.
    IMO, once the pigment has been created, it stays. You can fix the problem or the plants roots grow fixing the problem but the pigment remains, diluted throughout the plant (hence why the reddish stays) and that is why its so common. Alot of times there is no problem as the deficiency is very small. But the pigment is a sign that somewhere in the plant P or K was lacking at some point; theres no other reason for the plant to want to color itself purple.

@evergreens, grab a different nutrient ratio. Something with less N and more P/K; 6/24/24 wouldn't be a bad choice. Your soil looks decent and will provide N early on. Your much more likely to burn with N before P/K. I'd guess the purpling is happening because you are just starting to lock out P or K by introducing more N. I wouldn't use nutrients until your plants have sat in that soil for a month at least upwards to two months(depending on size of pot, if its small might be you need to Xplant for root mass before nutes are used); then you can decide whether to nute them or up-pot them in new soil.

By chance is your soil miracle grow though? If its miracle grow, then the time release nutes are wrong and will be mucking shit up; it can manifest early on with that reddishness as the nute ratios go wrong for her.

4. #4 evergreens, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2012
    Jellyman I looked up information on Alien OG and it's suppose to have dark leaves and stems, no purple.

1sttimegrower thanks, I think your right because I gave them some nutes when I first got them and then it happened but when I got home today I realized I got a bigger issue and it could be connected to the purple stems. One of the leaves is partially shrinking/looking dead but it's still green. Also the plants stem has gotten more purple.

Attached Files:

5. Where did you see it posted that the strain never has any reddish stems? I've never heard of a strain being described that way- perhaps there was a miscommunication somewhere.

6. The crinkling may be from splashing water on the leaves; especially if nuted this is bad for the plant. Your girl looks slightly stressed, maybe from some overwatering? This could also create purple stems. Water with only fresh water next time soil is dry ~ 2 inches down from the top crust. A better way of measuring is lifting the pot when its almost dry, and when its almost wet, and judging from there based on those weights; sticking your finger is completely based on relativity (IE, its hot and sunny outside, I stick my finger in outdoor girls pot, feels cool and moist. I don't water, plant droops; I scrape away an inch of dirt, its dry, although it felt fine!)
    How well rooted is she? If shes been in that pot for over a week, go ahead and run 0.25-0.5% H2O2 through the pot to leech some nutes out; might be she'll correct herself then. You can also just flush with water

7. It was on a dispensary site but I feel its not the strain because it happened and progressed right after I put them in soil.

8. The leaves started to get crisp and a little yellow at the tips and I read in a book purple stems and yellowing tips are signs of nitrogen deficiency. I gave them half a dose of 20-20-20 and I'm using a day old filtered water now. They're starting to look better but I think it was the water I was using and spraying them with like you said, probably causing nute lock.

9. Filtered?
    And be careful as yellow tips are also a sign of nute burn. N defic starts more as pale green leaves that trend towards the lowest set starting to yellow.

10. The leaves are drooping and the stems are purple all over the plant????

11. Theyre getting worse and I noticed some yellowing spots on some of the leaves of the plant on the right and its looking droopy. Anyone know what could be the problem?:confused:

12. Your room is too cold, your pH seems to be off, and whatever the 20-20-20 is is a terrible feed to give to your plants.

-OSUB

13. Your right about the temperature, the intake fan on the plants was really cold so I'm just going to run one fan to let the CFL heat it up.

But I did a ph and nutrient test and my ph was between 6-7 so no worries there but my nitrogen was really low and the phosphorus was getting close. I gave the plants some Jack's All Purpose 20-20-20 and the leaves have popped back up and look healthier but the stems are still purple.

14. Color change in stems alot of the time is caused my varying tempature. I would get some different nutes. Also your giving it a cal mag supplement?

15. #15 evergreens, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2012
    Alright my plants have been growing pretty well but some other symtoms have showed up.

Still purple stems
    Top leaves loosing dark green color
    Tips of top leaves turning yellow and spreading(not nutrient burn more like Mg or Zinc deficiency)
    Brown spots on 2 or 3 leaves

Anyone know what that could be?

Pics below are week1 and week2 which would be today

Attached Files:

16. Healthy leaves are not shiny with the gloss you have(unless sprayed with oils); healthy leaves are not dark green.

17. The other plants worse, I'm only giving them fresh water. Both soil and water is good ph and I have 2 cfls now and the fridge is in a warmer room. I'll leave it up to them.

Attached Files:

18. GL; itll take about a week of healthy conditions for them to respond really visibly. Just as a heads up those pH tests are very rough; a few points off really is a difference of 10x per whole point with reference to the ammt of OH or H in the water.(IE pH of 8 = 10x more alkaline than pH 7) Have you checked your run-off pH? Digital meters may help you out here; within the 6-7 range SOUNDS OK, but that's not of your run-off pH is it?; I think thats more of the indicator than the water going in (though soil pH should be a solid indicator as is, but your plants show that its off; could be though that those probes aren't the best)

I don't know what to say if everythings fixed then; I hate it when plants sour and you don't know whats up haha. When that shit happens usually I repot. I'd really just bring the run-off into a hydro store to check the pH if/when you can, if you don't want to buy a digital meter.

19. Ye your right I think its ph burn, should I re pot them? I'll check the ph with something legit too

20. In my experience, re-potting is almost never a bad idea. Might stress them a bit but the new soil and root space/food is always a boon. Try and grab some fiber pots or something with better drainage than your old pots might have (dunno how yours are, but my when I've seen terra-cotta/clay/w/e it was my moms plants, and the soil seemed to stay wet FOREVER in them)