Purple stems

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Thegrassbaker, Sep 13, 2017.

1. what do you guys think about purple stems on plants in veg? I've always been told it means that it is getting to much nitrogen? Bad thing or good thing?

2. [​IMG]

Nah can be a few things like any other symptom. Even when i have fresh beans pop it's rare that it stays green pure green after the second week, i feel like it could have to do something with the spectrum it's receiving as well. No pro that's for sure, but if it's not broken don't try to fix it.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  3. It means nothing, some genetics carry that trait, dont stress on it at all. as long as they are happy and reaching for the sky your good.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Magnesium deficiency and phosphorus deficiency can sometimes cause purple stems but it's random and it's not always the case. It can also be just what color that plant is. It's hard to tell. If you have a deficiency you'll probably see signs in the leaves first.

I've never heard that it is tied to nitrogen. The main indicator of how much nitro you have is the amount of green color of the leaves.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Well we'll look what the cat dragged in... ;)

'Sup buddy.

J

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Purple stems could be a sign of low grow room temps, always keep temps over 20°, best range is 23° to 30°, you could go over 30 but it's useless and dangerous unless adding a lot of Co2.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. I heard that too

8. More specifically its low night time temps that cause purple stems an in some cases purple buds

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. My stems have purple stripes on one strain the rest don't.
    As said before it is mag and phos def but it's hard to get right because some plants just have purple in the stems

Sent from my SM-G955F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. Only if the plant genetics carry that colour. If not no matter how cold u go it won't do it

Sent from my SM-G955F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  11. Beg to differ on that one mate only from experience though. Iv had purple come through on white widow, big bud, armageddon skunk, northern lights and lemon kush to name a few. Every winter we would get purple stems and purple tinted buds. As soon as we insulated the loft no more purple. Once my lemon kush looked like a shit purple haze lol.
    You need to get a pretty big cold shock to the plant tho to get that effect.

• Like Like x 4
  12. I grew only GDP for my first 3-4 crops. It was super purple. Almost no green when it was done. After growing a bunch more strains I've found that I can make any strain purple some if I want to. My crystal I just cut down had purple all over it.

The only way for purple to show through is if the plant is consuming it's own chlorophyll. You can make a plant do this by tapering nitrogen at the end and decreasing to light distance to about as close as it can take.

What really makes a plant purple is it's own tendency to consume it's own chlorophyll. That's why purple strains are never as strong thc wise as green ones. It's not really a super healthy trait. It just looks cool. IMO purple bud tends to be a little smoother as well because of the lack of nitrogen and chlorophyll in the buds.

You may be able to make a plant go purple from cold but I can make them purple with no cold. Just a significant cut of nitrogen at the end and really intense lighting.
    IMG_0253.JPG IMG_9983.JPG

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
  13. I grew an Auto flower called Samsara Ultraviolet once that naturally had a purple tint to the stems and leaves. The Northern Lights growing right next to it on the same nutes had no purple color. I have however seen purple on that same NL strain in the winter when temps dropped to 50F or so. It's important to keep the temps from swinging wildly from lights on to lights off. Run your lights at night and don't allow more than a 20°F shift in temps.

JS

• Like Like x 2
  14. A little update, they started with purple stems and are ending with purple sugar leaves HTCbomb I’m kind of feeling that something is wrong though. Maybe my temps are getting too low at night or phosphorus def

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  15. How far along are you into flower? Some plants will actually turn colors due to genetics or temps but in some to most cases the purple effect is a phosphorus deficiency. Check with the breeder information log on that strain. See if the purple color is natural at this point in the plants life cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Defo nothing to do with nitrogen mate

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

17. Almost 7 weeks I’ll check that, thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  18. I’d almost be willing to bet it’s either temps or genetics not a deficiency as close as you are to harvest. When was their last feed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  19. Using water that is too cold will also cause purple stems.. Alot of times when they turn purple they also lose flexibility.. Warm your water up to room temp before giving to the plants.

• Like Like x 2
  20. I read somewhere that magnesium deficiency can cause that. I had a strain called King Tut and the cuttings turned deep purple but did fine just the same. The mother had purple stems on the leaves during flowering and purple veins in the stalk and stems. The buds had purple colorings with white hairs turning red. Very high THC so I just attributed the color to that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Grasscity Forum mobile app