Purple stems?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by beenben57, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Hello out door first timer up in se Michigan wondering if I should worry about purple stems? Thanks IMG_2930.JPG IMG_2929.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Just on the fan leaves? If so, no.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Could be a phosphorous deficiency but some strains have naturally purple stems. Have you started to flush yet?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Don't worry about it. All my stems are pink on one of mine. Been that way the whole time.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Thank you for replies. I haven't started to flush I think I'll just let it go. Once again thanks for the help!

6. It wouldn't be close to time to flush anyways (should you choose to flush)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Genetics, phosphorus deficiency, or from cool temps. My bet would be genetics or cool temps though. If the leaves aren't looking off then I wouldn't worry too much. Growth might slow down a bit if the temperature is low.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. its a Phosphorous Deficiency, if left untreated it will make your smoke taste chemically.. get a P booster for next watering..

• Like Like x 1
  9. I just started my flush today. Some strains are ready by mid to late september.

10. Is there anyway to know for sure if it's a phosphorous deficiency or just cold temps? I live in Maine and we have had plenty of cooler 40 degree night time temps. Only a few of my 5 plants have purple leaf stems, and slight purpling on main stems.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. #11 puffnstuff1960, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    Also a outdoor grower in Michigan. I wouldn't worry about the purple stems its the cool weather IMO. Happens every year for me once the night time temperature starts cooling off.

12. #12 puffnstuff1960, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    In Michigan? Where I'm at in Michigan we usually don't start flowering till mid August. IMO if you harvest in Sept. your harvesting early. My harvest for the last few years I start 2nd week in Oct.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Your plant is fine. I repeat your plant is fine. Mine has the same exact thing. If it was P deficient it would show up in the leaves as well.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  14. Both possibly. P deficient for sure. Low temps can make P harder to uptake. So both.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Maine and Michigan both would have cooler Temps at night to give you nice purple nugs! Just enjoy the color

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  16. Im in ohio. Growing aurora indica and it has been flowering since July 10th.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Every single pistil on his plant is white, if you think it's about time to flush you've been harvesting early all your life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Pistils can be decieving. On the strain im growing the pistils stay mostly white up until the end. I decide when to start the flush based in the trichomes. When their about 50/50 clear/ cloudy i start flushing for two to three weeks and by the time its done they are mostly cloudy.

19. Looking at trichomes alone isn't the proper way to tell, neither is looking at the pistils alone, like you said. You need to look at the entire plant, not one or the other, I'm well aware of how to judge when it's time to harvest.

If you flush for nearly a month it's a bit misleading to say it's time to flush don't ya think?

20. flushing for 4 weeks you miss out on around 4-6 feedings... your doing yourself an injustice there aswell...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1