Purple stems, twisted new growth, etc.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by GCSeitter, Apr 11, 2017.

1. IMG_7562.JPG IMG_7560.JPG IMG_7558.JPG IMG_7561.JPG IMG_7559.JPG This will be my second posting for my first grow.
    First off, I have had purple stems almost all of veg and I was wondering if that is ok as long as my leaves are healthy which most of them are (I'll upload pics). It's purple kush that I'm growing so I was wondering if it's a strain thing or a deficiency.
    Secondly, some of my new growth is looking slightly twisted and even some of the leaves on the bud sites are a little deformed.. besides nute burn, I don't know what could be causing it.
    Thirdly, is it ok if I prune the first set of true leaves that sprouted? One of the leaf of the pair has brown spots so I was wondering if I could pinch her off.
    Oh, also is it normal for the leaves to be producing trichomes already.. is this a sign of good genetics?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Purple stems are sometimes genetics, mine have them and see no deficiencies in it other than that.
    For the twisted growth, boron would be the deficiency associated with it, but there could be other factors too. Heat levels, too much wind, and sometimes the new leaves just do that. If you give us more details on internal situations we can help you further.
    I don't see a problem with more tricohomes haha that's usually associated with genetics

3. Yeah I have quite a bit of wind blowing on her because I'm really trying to bring the heat down and get as much airflow as possible so that definitely could be the culprit of the twisted growth I guess. Internal situation is: one oscillating fan blowing directly on the plant, one 400W MH will change to HPS in flower (gets up to 84 degrees at the top of the plant sometimes but mainly around 75-80 during day, currently 37% humidity but that usually is around 40-55% lately, the light is approximately a foot and half away from the top, air cooled hood, exhaust fan, and that's about it for inner conditions.

4. 84 isn't too bad, bring down the wind levels and see if it recovers. Are you properly venting air out of the tent as well as having a separate fan venting if in?

5. I have a vent hooked up to the air cooled hood bringing heat out the top and I have two ventilation flaps on the bottom that I open while the light is on. The fan is at the bottom blowing the air around that comes in through the flaps. I also have a window right next to the tent where I blow out hot air.. but with summer around the corner I'll have to rely on A/C. Will the HPS run cooler than the MH when I flip to flower?

6. No the HPS will run even hotter than the MH that's why I'm suggesting you get another fan to blow the cool air from outside in. The passive air from the flaps only do so much

7. ok I'll work on getting another fan when I flip. As for the pruning issue, should I take that bottom set of leaves off? The ones that were the second to sprout after cotelydons.. they look like they aren't extremely healthy and I'd rather have energy going elsewhere to the plant

8. I'm currently having similar issues. Did the steps you took through out your post help?

Sent from my XT1254 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. hey man! Yeah, my grow turned out great. Almost got 4 oz out of her with only 5 foot of height, towards the end the leaves started to yellow and die pretty badly but I got a nice dense harvest. I just kept troubleshooting and researching throughout the grow and the plant honestly did most of the work for me because they're pretty hardy plants and fix a lot of the problems themselves. What I will fix next grow is to have a higher tent so the heat isn't a problem, and have two fans circulating air around the plant instead of onto it, especially above the canopy. Also, make sure your nutrients are being administered at the right doses!!! I had a lot of problems with that because I was always second guessing myself about how much dosage I should use at certain times in the grow. Nutrients are huge in having a healthy grow, if it's wrong or the soil isn't draining properly it can get nasty pretty quick honestly. But besides that everything turned out pretty decent for me! If you have any more specific questions feel free to ask bro