Purple Stems, Twisted Leaves

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by DanSvidania, May 20, 2013.

1. Hi everyone,

I'm experiencing a little problem with some of my new girls, i'm a noob so i can not figure out what it is, i was hoping some of you can help.

Medium: Coco
    Nutes: Canna Coco A+B, following their schedule except for the rhizotonic
    PH: 5.8/6.0
    EC: around 1200ppm

Introducing Ariel
    Strain: Snow White from Nirvana shop

This image was taken a week ago
    http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/2255/ariel1.jpg

This was taken today
    http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/8378/ariel2u.jpg

I had this purple stems issue with the previous growth as well but i thought it was the genetics of the strain, and since the leaves were doing fine i did not mind, but now i'm growing some other strain too, and the plant is showing the same simptoms.

Meche, unknown strain.

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/3483/meche1.jpg

Thanks 

2. You need to keep your girls ph sorted at 5.8, no higher so nutrient uptake of Mn will not be slipping, and your ppm's are set too high... drop it back to 800 and see if that helps?

3. You might ought to cut it back to 600 instead of 800 and see about that first, half the ppm's, then as the plant gets larger you can increase.

4. Thanks!

But do you mean the total EC of the water reservoir or the EC that i add with the nutes?

5. Spring water here is around 550 ppm, damn.

I guess i have to go with distilled water...

6. Let me look into getting some of the Buds in here for additional advice.

7. Slap ya self and slap ya self...again for asking for advice on GC, then informing a member that you intend to wait for a more appealing answer ...Dan, at 8 posts you in no position where to tell members anything, see it as lack of experience on your part, as you said that you were a noob!
    (C) is a mobile compound but at temps above 65f, otherwise it just sits on the stem or leave waiting to warm up, the more important (N) is highly mobile and is required as a food at temps above 13c/56f....otherwise the plant at or below 56f is dormant.

Look into maintaining a correct 75f/25c in your grow space 24/7 with a small fan to allow ya plants to breathe.

Most growers can drive there coco grows just on Ph reading why can't you!!!

Consider: your stream feed water, that after a rain storm the Ph will read different to when the stream has been in a drought
    avoid stream feed water
    Good luck and listen to MMMMMMMM

8. #9 DanSvidania, May 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2013
    I'm sorry Vostok, but you got me wrong... i did not say such a thing! It was Mmman himself to say he would bring some more people to help me, if i got his message right...

My growroom stays around 21/28º C night/day.. you think it could be because of that?

9. as long as you as expelling old air and bringing in fresh air those temps wouldn't do anything. not optimal but not hurting them either. only environmental factor for causing purple stems I know of is temps too cold. purple stem is probably just genetics.

ur leaves yellowing could be an Mg deficiency.  

any other noticeable problems?

i'm with mmman, ppm way to high. is that ur tap water? might wanna go get some bottled water. what strength are u using if ur water is 550 before nutes?

10. No that's my bottled water actually. Do you think it is too much?

I follow the schedule that came with the nutes, i measure the PH and ppm, than i add distilled water untill i get to the desired EC.
    At the age of this two plants (by the way when i realized both of them were about the same age i decided to take the smaller out since its growth was stunned starting weeks ago) i'm going a little lower than half strenght, around 18 ml/10 liters of Coco A+B, plus about 1ml of seaweed extract per liter in sobstitution of the rhizotonic which i do not have.

11. #12 CompleteAsshole, May 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2013
    check ur tap water. it's probably way lower than that. u wanna start at 1/4 strength and work ur way up. shoot for 400-600 ppm. have u tried just 5.8ph water by itself to see if it improves?

12. No that's my bottled water actually. Do you think it is too much?

I follow the schedule that came with the nutes, i measure the PH and ppm, than i add distilled water untill i get to the desired EC.
    At the age of this two plants (by the way when i realized both of them were about the same age i decided to take the smaller out since its growth was stunned starting weeks ago) i'm going a little lower than half strenght, around 18 ml/10 liters of Coco A+B, plus about 1ml of seaweed extract per liter in sobstitution of the rhizotonic which i do not have.

13. I'm thinking I've read that purple stems on young plants are occasionally occurring and not that big a deal. (May have "lucked up" and got two)

I would recommend dropping ppms to 1/4 like answer was saying and get that ph stable. 5.8

You may wanna flush 3x volume of your pot with water that's like 5.8. Then start your feeding at 1/4 strength, if she shows no burning on edges after a couple of days, go up to 1/2.

14. this is bugging me. check ur meter. something must be off. at 1200ppm and that young they should be burnt and dead already imo. get some new water. under 200ppm. under 50 is best.

15. #16 DanSvidania, May 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2013
    The meter should be ok, it measures 003 ppm with distilled water. I guess i will have to use just distilled water for the reservoir...

Edit: I'm sorry guys, i just checked my meter and it is not in ppm.. it reads the microsiemens per cm...

Now i have no idea what i was doing and how to convert this into ppm... i've never heard of this scale till now XD

Disclaimer: Told ya i'm a noob. XDDDD

16. In what's? I haven't a clue what those are, but that's not saying much.

17. Apparently is basically an other way to read the EC scale, since 1200 microsiemens/cm are equal to 1,2 EC points. (and i thought 1200 ppm were the same XDDD)

so the ppm were not that high afterall.. 1200 microsiemens (my reading) = 600 ppm hanna = 768 ppm Eutech = 840 ppm truncheon ..

Still, both my tap and bottled water are around 0,6 EC = 300/384/420 ppm depending on the scale.. pretty hard water anyway, so that i have to go very low with the nutes to stay on the right EC.

18. RO water has 0 ppm (or very close to 0) and only costs like $.35 a gallon in USA. It's like a machine outside or inside grocery store. Just make sure you have something to put water in. I use old water jugs.

19. Take a reading of your stream water in ppm in a dry spell and again when raining for some time, to compare hardiest factor, but yeah you may have to import some water, and cut your feeding for 7 days till they green up, or until you see an improvement then feed at half strength
    to my blog:

SO WHERE THE HELL HAS MY BLOG GONE.....?

found......!

http://forum.grasscity.com/blog/1093/entry-9678-working-with-hard-water/

peace
    "V"