Purple Gnarly Growth that Turns Black, and Dies. Plants Veg Perfectly.

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by jimihendrix42, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Anyone know what this is?

A friend of mine has been fighting this for 4 years.

I saw these photos posted by a member on another forum, and its the exact thing my friend has.

My buddy, and the forum member are also using different mediums, and are not in the same area of the country.

Buddys PH is 6.2-6.3.. Promix BX.

The plants grow perfectly with 0 problems up until a couple weeks before flowering they start showing hints of purple, that eventually gets gnarly, turns black, and dies. Sometimes they come partially out of it, but the buds are 90% mucked up, but most just die.

Am using 7-20 gallon Smart Pots.

When they first went into the pots they were given

Farm Type Granulated Fertilized that was calculated to a 19-19-39 formula.

Fert was

19-19-19

0-0-60

Added Calcitic/Dolomitic Lime 2/3 :1/3 ratio Calcitic/Dolomite

My guess is that its either a deficiency, or a disease.

Phytoplasma Disease

or

Phosphorus Deficiency, also with possible Cal/Mag/Nitrogen deficiency.

The only thing is, is the other guy has been feeding his plants ect, and I was thinking the fert my friend originally used, it used up, and causing deficiencies from no food, but again, other guy has been feeding his.

I also figured it could be from being wet to much, as weve had a lot of rain this year. 394415Purple Death.jpg 39467333_736602253338267_4344694899799490560_n.jpg

2. Cold weather? Anything under 40 f u will have that

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

3. Hasn't been below 70 since April.

Its not cold, nor genetic.

Has happened to 6 different strains.

4. Just a thought. It’s not purple but similar symptoms.
    3FDA7B2F-A189-4D24-AF7E-EB517C64CAAE.png

5. Nah. It never gets that copper/bronze type color.

It just goes from beautiful veg, and then starts turning slightly purple, and will try and produce stigmas, but eventually withers, and dies.

But I do appreciate your input, and time. Ive had idiots on another forum calling me names and all kinds of stuff when I say is not cold, visable bugs, fertilizer ect.

But Im leaning towards a fert/or lockout problem. Or Phytoplasma, of which there is no cure.
    Its caused by bug bites, and releases the virus that way.

But Im also not sure of that, because the leaves Don't turn Yellow at any time. Green to purple, to black.

A guy from Hawaii gave me the info on Phytoplasma.

Phytoplasma - Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytoplasma

• Like Like x 1
  6. Well hell I have never seen that. My guess would have been something in feeds or soil. Damn good luck. I would say a lab would be the only true way to find out.

7. Mac if u see this wtf?? Hopefully mac knows. He is a walking grow book and a great guy!!

8. Might want to look into phosphorus deficiency

• Like Like x 1
  9. There is a Maple tree Fungus that looks similar
    The tree get black spots that look similar and its due to a fugus
    I wonder if it's some type of leaf fungus,
    Does it kill the plant?
    The Maple tree fun
    gus does not.
    [​IMG]
    Interesting indeed

10. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Im thinking its Witches Broom. Which is a Phytoplasma disease, and no cure.

I believe its more devastating to weed vs other many plants because weed only lasts 1 season.

• Like Like x 2
  11. It happened to my buddy again this year, and I also see on another couple of forums, other people are also reporting the problem.

Many also believe it is Bacteria/Phytoplasma of some kind. From bugs. Leafhoppers being one.