Purple Diesel 1000w scrog

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Bootfullofbuds, Jan 20, 2014.

1. If there is one thing I hate about HPS is that it totally discolors everything. I know week 6 is tomorrow but I just went in for a peek after the lights went out and.... I've got some PURPLE dudes! Now, before somebody suggests my night temps are too low, I have a heater that kicks on @70! Had that on her the entire grow, this is why I NEED to water every 2 days, besides the fact that my soil drains really good, almost too good, the heater is level with the bucket and about 2ft away, so it helps with keeping my soil warm at night like it is in nature. Which in turn, evaporates some water! This is natural purple that's coming on with age (GENETICS!!)

Anyways, it's only week 6 so I'm really excited to see the colors that pop when I DO let it get cold. That will be the last 3-4 days of its life, the last 24hrs of which will be complete darkness, and I plan to use ice water the last few days as well. Here they are, a sneak peak at tomorrow's vid, which will most definitely be centered around the purpling and density of trichomes!! It's gettin exciting!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391647575.196397.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391647629.130576.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391647870.162824.jpg

2. Looking good man. The color is sweet. Definitely gonna follow you on this! Growing some Sour D myself...

3. Very nice plants man. Hoping I have a more purple pheno of my purple wreck, those buds look delicious. Subbed.

4. Thanks dudes! Two new subbers hell yea. I have a feeling I'm in store for much more color in the next few weeks. And the buds are so awesome, I wish it was ready now. They look and smell so good. It can only get better from here.

5. Sounds about right. When do you intend to harvest?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. #86 Bootfullofbuds, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2014
    I'm going by the trichomes, but week 8-9 is 20th-27th of February. May take a little here, and there, and let the lower buds develop a little. I haven't decided yet but I was told this is an 8-9 week strain, if she's ready at 8 she will come down, if she isn't ready till 10 then I will wait the extra week. No schedule or rush. Just wanna make sure she's her full potential before I smoke on her for a few months lol

7. #87 Sciapodous, Feb 6, 2014
    Stoked to see them turn fully. How many more weeks?edit: nvm haha

8. #88 Bootfullofbuds, Feb 6, 2014
    Lol it's cool, 2-3 I would say. I've got almost 100% cloudy tric's so it shouldn't be too long before at least 20% go amber.

9. TODAY IS WEEK 6! I've got the lights on video uploading to YouTube, it's 10min long so it may take a while to upload. But here's a pic to hold y'all over lol ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391719404.242566.jpg

10. Man I love Thursdays. It's awesome to watch last weeks vid and then this weeks vid to see just how much she has grown! Well, without further ado, here's the vids!

LIGHTS ON
    http://youtu.be/hiCmWkZnxmM

LIGHTS OFF
    http://youtu.be/Rcf4loe0jHU

Enjoy, and let me know what you think!

11. Feeding with molasses encourages fungal growth👀👋

Sent from my LG-D800 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. #92 Bootfullofbuds, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2014
    1. I've used molasses in all my grows with great results

2. Here's some people that back me up
    http://forum.grasscity.com/advanced-growing-techniques/290744-using-molasses-nutrient.html#entry3272749
    http://forum.grasscity.com/advanced-growing-techniques/1034466-using-molasses-yield.html/page-2#entry14587069
    3. Go do some reading, then come back when you've got something constructive to add or something nice to say.

P.s. The molasses is going in my roots and I'm not smoking, eating, cooking, running butane through, etc MY ROOTS so I could really care less even if it did "encourage fungal growth"

13. I wasn't flaming you hahaha are you having a bad day?

14. Lol yea bro. Sorry. I've used molasses a lot and I've never had any problems with fungus. My bad

15. You must have meant beneficial bacteria? Not fungal bro lol in that case, yes it does. It feeds the microbes in the soil, when feeding with other nutrients it helps with the uptake of nutrients and with resin production. I also use it during early flush 2 weeks before harvest it allows the plant to use the remainder of the nutrients in the soil.

16. Congrats man...very big improvement since the last time I saw her..those buds are so fat and they're gonna do nothing but get fatter! Beautiful!

17. #97 Bootfullofbuds, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2014
    Thanks bro. I'm reeeealy lookin forward to smokin this. It smells so good. I'm hoping for a big swell.

I have a few questions on what y'all's opinions are on harvest time and drying/curing. A lot of the stuff I read is conflicting about both. Some say to harvest when the trichomes are mostly cloudy but ~30% amber. Some say the bud isn't ripe until the pistils have retracted and almost completely turned orange. I really want to get this right, cause I "hate" bud that makes you sleepy, but I want this plant to be all she can be. I realize my window may only be a week or so maybe even a few days. I just want to hear you guys opinions/methods on this subject.

About drying/curing, I just want to know what you guys think about this new method I want to try, quote
    "Curing is the process after harvest BUT BEFORE DRYING, during which many of the cell's metabolic processes continue for a while. Buds continue to cure when they are kept @ 60-70F with humidity of 50%. The cells RETAIN moisture and convert complex carbohydrates back to simple sugars and break down some pigments, including chlorophyll. As chlorophyll is metabolized, the bud turns a lighter shade of green. Other pigments, formerly hidden by the chlorophyll, become apparent, coloring the bud with red, yellow, and purple highlights. Buds can STAY ALIVE FOR UP TO 3 DAYS, continuing some life processes. They GRADUALLY lose moisture, and after a few days, all the cells have died.

Buds dried too quickly without curing retain more chlorophyll, which gives the smoke a "greener" minty taste and rougher smoke, and often a less intense odor. Buds that are cured and dried slowly have the smooth draw of fine herb.

Keep the curing space dimly lit and the air constantly circulating. It is important to regulate the humidity so it stays between 45-55%. Excessive humidity promotes mold, and insufficient humidity---40% or lower--- promotes drying and stops the curing process.

After the buds are cured, they are dried. At 50% humidity, the buds dry gradually over a week or two, depending on their size. Lowering it to 40-20% hastens drying. Bud size, and size of the drying space as compared with the amount of bud drying, temperature and humidity all effect drying time. One way to keep the temperature and humidity low is to use an air conditioner with a thermostat set at 65F. If the temperature is warmer outside, the air conditioner will remove water from the air.

Not many growers have used this technique because it takes time, patience, and space, but the finished dried bud is worth the wait. It burns smoothly and retains more odor in contrast to heat-dried bud, which loses the more volatile terpenes during processing.

Most gardeners raise the temperature to dry the bud. While this method hastens the process, many terpenes, the odor molecules that give marijuana varietes their "personalities", evaporate at between 70-85F."

I'm still going to put them in jars when done, to really "cure" them. But this method of drying seems like the way to go. What you guys think?

18. I'm gonna save that whole post in my notes. Good post harvest info for sure.

19. Thanks man I copied it from a book I have "ed rosenthal's marijuana growers handbook" if It was legal I would copy the whole book on here, most of it would be stickies lol I think that up there on its own is sticky worthy, there isn't much technical info about drying and curing in that section.

20. #100 Bootfullofbuds, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2014
    Well a quick YouTube search for "curing medicinal cannabis" this was the first video. Ironic. If I woulda known this video was on here I would have definitely skipped typing all that.

http://youtu.be/jUORaWMsaAc

I won't be following this method exactly. Mentally debating whether I want to put the trashbag on it. Plastic is static prone. Shake in a cellophane is a no go. I just think it will do the same thing to the tric's.