Purple bud?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ThEHeRbSmOkEr, Aug 4, 2013.

1. I noticed purple in the crown of my plant is this the bud thats purple?

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. looks that way. some strains do this. you might also notice red or purple striping on your stem. cooler temps can cause this as well.

3. #3 garrison68, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2013
    There used to be type of weed called Jamaican Purple, but I never had it.   Purple Haze is a recent strain, never had that either.   I had plenty of weed with red in it though, that's usually a very good indication of quality.  

4. they say purple bud tasts the best. imo they are right.

5. purple tends to mean the temperature is slightly too cold, well at least from my experience, but hey it looks nice :)

Agreed.  You see this a lot with outdoor grows.   Especially with strains that are indica dominant. 

7. #7 andyjay0, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
    I re-looked at this picture (boredom at 5am ^.^), forgive me if I'm wrong but from the angle of the photo that looks like a male as well being slightly too cold for your grow environment but since that wasn't your question I assume you know that?

edit. totally didn't realize the other post I commented on about male/female was your post, apologies.

8. A purple striping or coloring of the stems is usually a magnesium deficiency

purple in the bud and ON the leaf indicate a drastic temp change at night, that's ok. Chlorophyl is not the only photosynthetic pigment at work in plants. there are also carotenoids, and Anthocyanin's.  When the Chlorophyl dies off, due to drastic temp differences, some of the Anthocyanin's are left and develop a purple or red color on the leaves.

The interesting thing about Anthocyanin's is that they are also pH indicators, so I wonder if you can change the purple into a vibrant pink or yellow, which is what colors it also shows in different conditions, if you change the pH right at the end in a plant that is all ready showing purple.

9. #9 tplat, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2013
    Purple stripes can also be a genetic trait, solid purple areas is a deficiency that you mentioned. Temps of 65 degrees or colder can bring the purple color out if it has purple genetics. There are also some plants that will get a pink or blue color to them in 65 degree or cooler temps as well and is genetic also. I wouldn't worry to much about night time temps unless they drop down to like 50 degrees or less.

10. #10 The Egg Man, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2013
    I personally just got rid of purple striping on all five of my plants by adding epsom salt because I was using distilled water. The purple stripes, are now green again.

I suppose my pH could have been a bit out locking stuff out, but either way, if it was genetic, I wouldn't have had them on every single plant, and I wouldn't have been able to correct it.

I was also getting other symptoms of Mg def though, thats how I knew. 

I have found very few topics relating to this, most just seem to write it off as genetics, but I beg to differ.

Here is the video that actually pointed me in this direction. http://youtu.be/BOwpB3J8lis

11. Yeah there isn't much info regarding the purple striping and theres some debate on it. I had an Island Sweet Skunk that has purple genetics in it and it didn't matter how much magnesium or calcium I gave it the purple striping stayed.

12. it could have been lock out for some reason, showing you mag def.

13. hey guys you seem to know a lot about purpling, would you mind taking a look at this thread - i want to know what is causing some of my plants to behave differently to the others. i know that there is quite a dramatic drop in night time temps for my grow which might explain it, and i think the plants were mag deficient for a while but changed feeding - the thing that is really stumping me is that all four plants have essentially had the same treatment their whole lives, yet they all look so different!!!

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-medical-marijuana-growing/1237544-time-harvest-too-soon-week-10-flower-photos.html

14. Interesting specimens of what we are both talking about. 

Thanks for sharing.

Hope you can find more insight or at least this was useful to you.

@[member="tplat"] go check out his pictures real fast and then tell me what you think.

15. yea that def looks like a male plant...looks like a bunch of balls

16. Male....