Purple Bud phenomena

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by asdfqwerty1, Apr 22, 2009.

1. So I couldn't help but notice that purple bud is the "hot trend" right now if you will. I mean cmon who doesn't get hard looking at some of the nice purple strains. My question is if there is a way that growers manipulate a plant to look more purple than normal. I read somewhere that lowering the temperature can cause certain purple strains to have a more purple hue during growth , but how cold are we talking about and im guessing its during the flowering phase? Also is there any negative effects that come with this too? What about cold to the green color of non purple strains?

2. don't experiment unless you have funds to dispose, otherwise go with what you know about each strain you growing.

3. #3 abnormldood, Apr 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2009
    Not only will lowering the night temperature turn the plant purple, but it will produce more resin to protect itself. Genetics are the main factor in purple bud, but any bud can turn purple. At the start of flowering, gradually drop the temp to about 50f-55f over the next few weeks, then before chopping do a 24-48 hour dark period, to get the best effect. After you see how well your plants deal with cold temps, you can fine tune your schedule. I hope to see how it goes if you decide to try this.

4. Some strains turn purple only after a night of near-freezing temps. But that also makes a lot of the trichomes bust and fall off. Look into naturally purple strains.

5. low temps and 24-48 hours of darkness most certainly will get you some crazy colors. My Kali Mist got reds and purples after 24 hours of dark before the chop and lower night temps. Really will work on most any strain. First time I have seen purple Kali Mist. ;)

6. Purple buds can have alot to do with temperature. Even natually "Purple" strains can come out with no purple color. 24 hours with no light and low temps around 55 is what i recommend for less durable strains. 36 to 48 hours with temps around 45 for those strains that just seems so hard to harm. Some people have been known to go as far as putting ice in their res. Be careful if your not a very experienced grower, for if done wrong you can ruin your bud. The only downside to turning your bud a purple or pink tint is you can lose thc content easily with the low temps making trichromes brittle. Looks will usually trump thc content in a selling standpoint, as long as you take care of your plants very well before doing all this, you should still have good thc content with amazing looks. :hello:

7. venusflytrap by nirvana seeds is the purplest shit ive ever seen so purple almost black will post pics soon check up on it if ur looking for plum colored nugz lol

8. Quick question on the temperature....Can you cut/harvest the plant and then subject the branches to cool temps for the same effect? My Blue Dream is dark blue mostly when I harvested it, and I still went and put a few branches into a paper bag in my garage, where it was in the 40's. I didn't notice a difference really, but maybe it was because it the chorophyll cell damage had already occurred, as my room is in the 60s during the dark time. Just wondering...I'll enclose a pic shortly of my blue blue dream.

9. :bongin:ok, here are some pics, what do you guys think? I just had a lower temp, mid 60's during dark time, and my blue dream and GDP are responding well, color-wise.

Attached Files:

10. I never heard it increases resin, someone else second that?

11. agreed, in fact I normally hear that it has no effect on yield, or a negative one.

12. A product of misinformation... People hear dumb shit on the Internet and run with it.

:cool:

13. Colder temps will turn some strains purple but below 55 degrees most plants will slow or have stunted growth. People always say things increase THC but THC is what the plant uses to protect itself from light. The plant uses it as sunscreen.

14. Thank you sir!!! Useful infoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!