Purging BHO twice

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Blitzkriegin, Jun 16, 2015.

1. #1 Blitzkriegin, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2015
    Has anyone decided to purge again with low heat and vacuum after their BHO has already set from the initial purge? What could the problems be with a second purge, or has anyone had success in making it a better product after the second time?

I made a bunch of BHO and it seemed like it was done so I stopped the purge. In the morning my house was about 70degrees and when I checked the BHO, it was perfect. But in the afternoon I checked again when my house was in the 80s and the BHO was a little too sappy.. That's why I want to know if a little more purging would help

2. What are you looking to achieve with the 2nd purge?

Storing your oil in 80 degree weather is definitely going to leave it in a sappier state than room temp.

Consistency is what it is. Further purging probably wouldn't change the consistency too much, but you seem to be equating quality with consistency, when one is not indicative of the other. Some of the most potent, best tasting oil I have dabbed was on the sappier side.

3. #3 Blitzkriegin, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2015
    I was looking to achieve something a little more stable.. Basically I don't want someone to be turned off from it bc it is a little sappy, but you don't think people would care as long as it's good quality?

Here's what it looks like in the morning temps

View attachment 1801549

4. I don't get why people want shatter vs something you can easily portion and manipulate without sending shards everywhere

5. I don't want shatter... But when it's fairly warm out.. This stuff sticks to anything you touch to it.. Have you had BHO like that and were ok with it? Cuz maybe I'll be ok with this stuff right now lol

6. The strain I'm making bho out of now stays sappy, I've tried to get it to shatter but even with winterizing it can't get it past pull and snap
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1434497788.296860.jpg

7. How long are you purging that for and what temps? Nothing wrong with bho that has been properly purged and is clean. Depends on your flower your using to blast.. Different strains different consistency. Any bho I make for edibles I Winterize for foodgrade, any BHO I smoke on gets Dewaxed to ensure I get out as much residuals and mystery oils as I can plus the plant fats and waxes which are unpleasant to our lungs.

8. That was purged with vacuum for about 4 or 5 hours at about 120 degrees... If needed, can I still purge again

9. Spread it out and keep purging, 4-5 hours is nowhere near enough. granted your temps are really high, I would still turn it down to like 100 and keep going for at least another 12hr.

dewaxing doesnt do anything about mystery oil FYI ;)

10. So if I stopped purging for a day and then started again, would it make a difference?

11. what do you mean? it wont hurt it or anything.

I've blasted a few different runs and purged the slabs for a few hours just to get them stable so I could store them and purge them one after the other. I was only working with one 3 gallon vac chamber so I couldnt purge any more than one run at a time.

so yeah, it wont be bad for it or anything, its gonna help it actually [​IMG]

12. Perfect thanks. That's all I've really been wondering is if it would hurt the BHO to start and stop, then start again

13. JC so how do you go about removing that? Not able to do so open blasting hu? Butane must be distilled in a CLS then yeah?

14. doesnt have to be a CLS but yeah, it must be distilled. you could make something to distill with out of tri-clamp hardwarre but would be kinda dumb cause at that point I would just build a CLS lol :p

thats why I tell people to try and use the least amount of tane possible while still achieving a good extraction. and use good tane ;)