Pure rooting hormones: IAA, IBA, NAA

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by cgeisler5, Apr 14, 2019.

1. I know we all have our favorite gels, powders, and rooting solutions. Has anyone purchased pure 99% rooting hormones and utilized before? I picked up some IAA, IBA, and NAA. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience using these with results?

Instructions said to mix 100 MG of each into 100 mL of slightly basic solution. After mixing it, you can store in the refrigerator. I way under mixed it because I have no experiencing using this stuff so I went with 60 MG of each one using a calibrated 0.01 G scale into the same 350 mL of pH 8 dechlorinated water. Instructions also said that mixing these together provide improved results. It cautions not to over apply or apply with too much frequency over course. You can harm the plant with too many hormones. Given enough time, they make their own rooting hormones of course.

The full chemical compound names are as follows:

NAPHTHALENE ACETIC ACID 98% NAA-NA (synthetic)
    Indole-3-butyric acid IBA-K (synthetic)
    Indole-3-Acetic Acid 99% IAA Indole 3 Acetic Acid (natural)

Appreciation any info. Thanks!

2. I have used PGR successfully. I use it in my MIcropropergation MS media. I don’t really use it to root but to create uniform clones.

If I’m just going for regular clones from cuttings I just use the commercial powders/gels that are widely available. It’s faster and easier and I get 99% success rates so the extra time and money to mix my own is not worth it for me

3. I too use Clonex but I've seen other products on the market recommended for cloning solution and others for application every 4-5 days. Just curious if anyone has done this with any success.

4. Yes I have rooted plenty by mixing PGRS to make my own rooting solutions. The results were no better then what is already available now.

The main reason I don't mix my own for general rooting is the work and time required to mix, because you need to be precise with your measurements and also the time it takes to mix everything and clean up all the equipment used.

5. For years I have use house hold honey its got all the above

...and more.. even water proof lol

and I have a coffee and toast with honey as my cloning work completion

whats disturbing here is you have the chems before you got the plants?

6. I have a crop cloning now. I'd like to work these rooting hormones in since my process always goes 2-3 weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  7. What is your cloning process? If your goal was to speed up cloning it’s has more to do with the method and less with the hormones. I’ve tried and tested a number of methods.

8. A bubble cloner. I think my water levels are too high though which promotes pathogens. I am going to start to lower the water level and ensure proper humidity. I don't use a humidity dome nor do I spray them. I use Clonex gel and cut stems at 45 degree angle.
    copy.jpg 20190406_120402.jpg