pure coco vs coco perlite mix, whats best?

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by KMASTER223, Jul 1, 2013.

1. im jus about to finish my first run in coco perlite mix and im loving it compared to soil but i see a lot of ppl using straight coco can anyone tell me the differance?

2. coco/perlite will hold moisture better.  Perlite has all of those microscopic imperfections that nutrient leyden moisture hideout in.  Pure coco will dry out in a day....  I water to 10% runoff every 48hrs.  Tends to do the trick.  Check out my girls!  link in sig

3. I've grown in pure coco and pure perlite, and every combo of mixes in between.   They all work great!    I think it's best to let your medium dry out somewhat, and receive fresh nutrients more often, than only watering once every 3-4 days.   Due to this, I think it's best to mix the two together.

Depending on your environment, ambient temps, air circulation, and watering methods.... you have to choose what's best for you.

If it's really hot, and your medium is prone to drying out, just run straight coco.   If you live in a more cool, or even humid environment, you might want to mix with perlite. 

The more perlite you add, the more often you'll have to water.  That's the only real factor to worry yourself with.  Technically, either will work great.  I'm a HUGE beleiver in getting as much O2 to the roots as possible, so I would strongly suggest adding perlite, it it suits your style.

Cheers,
    Past

• Like Like x 1