purchasing a new set up, unsure on a few things?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by justin10, Mar 5, 2017.

1. so iv done a 3 grows now so i have a little experience but could do with abit of advice or recommendations?

so im thinking..

1.2 x 1.2 m tent

2 x 400w hps (cfls to begin with then 1 hps...)?

3 plants/ got air pruning pots 20 litres but going to reduce to more 15 litres..

4 inch incoming fan?

4/6? outgoing with carbon filter?

thinking of running all vitalink nutrien products

not sure on soil to use, would like it premixed so its in the pot and go?

will start in solo cups and go up in sizes until i reach the big air pruning pots

unsure on strains yet, would like a haze any ideas from anyone there? like pineapple haze alot, interested in kush but would ideally want quite a yeild hence going for strong lighting..

also considered MH lighting but can that run in my usual ballast which is not digital?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. If I were growing in a 4'x4' area I'd just use a single 1000w HPS instead of two 400w ones. Cheaper equipment costs, more efficient running one large light instead of two smaller ones, and easier to control heat. A 1000w HPS would easily and adequately light your space.

Although if I were doing everything in one tent (germinate/veg/flower) I'd grab a 1000w MH bulb for my fixture as well. I'd start my seeds under a small T-5 light, and once they get a couple nodes on them I'd throw in the MH bulb and crank that sucker throughout veg, then swap out for a HPS bulb for flower.

3. its just i already have 3 400w so was going to use two?
    thanks for your advice, i was thinking same basically a few cfl lights until they are up abit, any ready mixed soil ideas?

4. I haven't grown in soil for 10+ years now, so I really can't help you on that front, sorry. If you already have the fixtures, 2 400w HPS lights will be just fine for that area, although I'd get some MH bulbs for the fixtures if you're able to for veg.

5. would the mh speed things up a little? really struggling on soil an nutrients though had a right ball ache last time

6. A MH bulb during veg will results in more vigorous and compact vegetative growth over using a HPS the entire cycle.

I'm a firm believer that if you aren't going to do an aeroponic/DWC/non-coco hydro setup, that coco coir is the perfect medium for cannabis cultivation.

• Like Like x 1
  7. so just this stuff alone in my pot would be best?

Canna Coco Coir Natural 50L Bag

8. I use a similar product mixed with hydroton, although if you go that route, you've got to do some research on it as it is a hydroponic setup and you have to treat it differently than soil. It requires different nutrients, a different feed/water schedule, and all in all a different approach than soil, even though it looks similar. Coco coir is, for all intents and purposes, an inert medium, meaning it has no intrinsic nutritional value to plants, so you're required to give the plant all the nutrients it could need in the form of liquid/powder nutrients.