Pulled over and searched - need advice.

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Blointman, Apr 12, 2009.

1. #1 Blointman, Apr 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2009
    ***** If you are here to flame or give any negative comments, please leave now *****

Alright so here's the deal - I got pulled in South Carolina today (I'm a North Carolina resident) going 54 in a 45. The cop seemed cool, however while I was pulling over i tossed my grinder on the back floorboard just to get it off the dash. As I had not been smoking, I almost got away with but he realized i had an automatic seat belt when I had told him I had reached backwards to put my seat belt on.. which appeared "suspicious" that I lied about it. Long story short he searched my car and found the grinder, which had only a bowl pack in it at most. I received a ticket for speeding and another for "simple possession of marijuana".

-Speeding ticket = $81
    -Possession = $570

The officer said I can attend the court date in bumfuck nowhere, SC which is like 3 hours from my house, and try to receive a conditional discharge - basically take drug classes and have the charge dropped. Or since cannabis is decriminalized in NC I can simply send the money to the court and have the charge on my record.

What do you guys suggest I do? I'm 18 and a senior in HS, I don't want the charge to screw any scholarships or grants over (could it?) but my family isn't the wealthiest and I feel that to get a lawyer for the court date would cost well over $650 for the 2 tickets.

Please leave feedback or PM with advice. I really need it.

2. Don't use a lawyer then, just go to court and defend you case :).

should be a reasonable reason to go, why would you not want to that's a serious bill

3. I got arrested in January for possession. It was my first offense since being 18, so I was offered a Diversion program, basic drug classes. I would suggest this if you can get it. It's not too expensive, and you get the charges dropped off your record. Other than the drug tests and not being able to smoke, it's really not too bad.

4. idk i think since it is in socuth carolina it doesnt matter that in north carolina your a resident and its decriminalized...but yea unfortunately if you have a drug charge i dont think you can get financial aid which i think is complete and utter bullshit..becuz soemthng i read was by norm stamper he said "dear obama please remember what would happen if you would have gotten busted when you were younger and that is happening to hundreds of thousands of people today...obama would not be close to popular if busted with pot"

5. it is not decriminalized in north carolina...

6. Did you need to get a lawyer to do that? Like, could I just go to court with my parents and tell the judge I'll take classes to get rid of the charges? (That's what this "conditional release" is)

@Mistabaze - according to NORML it is.. Most pigs just don't abide by it there.