Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

PTSD

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Auqua, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Need some advice, please. My husband has PTSD from active military service and he needs high thc. I'm new to growing only got a few grows done in bad time of the year. I'm in Australia where it's slowly looking at being made legal. Any advice from VETS would be welcomed.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  2. As individuals we have our own PTSD triggers. And there is no guarantee cannabis will have the same effect on everyone.
    For me, I find just a few hits from the bong will adjust my mood enough to get me past, MOST of the time. And it seems to be that way with any strain I try.
    It's not a cure, but only a tool. One of a few. No magic.
    I found the biggest help for me, so far, is understanding where the shit in my head is coming from. The more I understand what it is, the better I know how to deal with it.
    Wish I knew more what to say. Sorry.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Quite a few of us here are Veterans. While most are in the USA we all share the same general set of issues and do understand in ways only another vet can.

Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads

Hash Master 5000 - Dry Ice Method, Hash Oil Capsules, Everclear Tincture

An American Dream - White Picket Fences and Marijuana in the So Cal Sun

How I get it done.

BNW

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. On a morning from a Bogart movie
    In a country where they turn back time
    You go strolling through the crowd like Peter Lorre
    Contemplating a crime
    She comes out of the sun in a silk dress running
    Like a watercolor in the rain
    Don't bother asking for explanations
    She'll just tell you that she came
    In the year of the cat
    She doesn't give you time for questions
    As she locks up your arm in hers
    And you follow 'till your sense of which direction
    Completely disappears
    By the blue tiled walls near the market stalls
    There's a hidden door she leads you to
    These days, she says, I feel my life
    Just like a river running through
    The year of the cat
    While she looks at you so cooly
    And her eyes shine like the moon in the sea
    She comes in incense and patchouli
    So you take her, to find what's waiting inside
    The year of the cat
    Well morning comes and you're still with her
    And the bus and the tourists are gone
    And you've thrown away your choice you've lost your ticket
    So you have to stay on
    But the drum-beat strains of the night remain
    In the rhythm of the new-born day
    You know sometime you're bound to leave her
    But for now you're going to stay
    In the year of the cat
    Year of the cat

Songwriters: Peter Wood / Al Stewart
    Year of the Cat lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Warner/Chappell Music, Inc, Carlin America Inc

BNW

5. I am a vietnam vet rated as 50% with PTSD. I've had lots of issues with bad dreams. I found that taking CBD is soothing and brings down the tension level.

I don't like getting drunk or high very much. I fiund if I vape some Indica (the more sedative strains) or if I use Indica edibles before bed I sleep so much better. So now I am using a 50% CBD / 50% Indica strain and I sleep without the PTSD dreams. What I have been able to find out is that the CBD is good for arthritis and good for sleep. The Indica strains and also good for relief of tension and good for sleep.

Using it before bed lengthens the deep sleep cycle where the brain repairs itself and shortens the REM sleep cycle where you dream. I still dream, but not as much and the freaky dreams are far fewer.

My Dr. at the VA tells me she gets a lot of reports like this from other veterans too.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. @Auqua

You'll need to experiment with different methods Smoked-vaped-tincture-edible oil and various mixes-strain choices if you have access to them to see what fits his needs best.

As you can see @putermon Needs a different mix then I do.

I've got post surgical issues and very high THC in edible oil form is what works best for me. CBD doesn't do anything to stop my pain-discomfort at all and the blended CBD-THC acts like the CBD is holding the THC back and I don't get good relief from it either.
    Keep in mind most of my issues are Physical in nature so I don't mind the intense stone that comes with my form of medication.

BNW

7. I think there’s still a long way before we can just run down to the dispensary here in Australia. Sure it’s looking better but I can’t see it happening soon.

I’m a cannabis user as I have chronic severe anxiety, also from Australia.

I feel your pain as cannabis is not readily available. I’ve been buying mine from the dark web, but that’s a hit and a miss because of quality and also the sites are swamped with hackers. I’m yet to find a local person I can buy from.
    If it was more available we could experiment more with the ways we use it and what works for us.

Good luck with your journey! Just remember to stick in there and have patients with your condition. It gets better!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. Thought about growing your own? I would imagine it would be safer than finding hookups on the dark web.

9. Yeah I got 2 plants in about week 5 of veg. Looking forward to them flowering soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

10. Yeah, CBD isn't really that good for physical pain. It is more of an anti-inflammatory medicine. I make a salve out of high THC strains that I use as a topical for muscle and joint pain. It works well for more immediate relief of arthritis joint pain as well as other physical issues. While a topical is more immediate an ingested form lasts longer.

But as BrassNwood stated earlier, you have to try different things to find the best one for you.

Salve recipe:

42 ounces of coconut oil
    4 ounces of weed wrapped in cheese cloth
    4 ounces of vitamin E
    Cook in a crock pot on low for 42 hours - only on low or warm.
    Towards the end add 4 ounces of bees wax and peppermint or other oil for scent.

I found the longer cooking time makes it more effective. I suspect it is degrading the THC to CBN. The amount of bees wax varies as to climate and time of year. Coconut oil melts about 70F. The bees wax makes it more firm yet it still melts when applied.

Using raw plant materiel gives it a green color. In more recent batches I have extracted the good stuff before using it. Using honey oil gives it a slight tan color. The stuff is pretty darned effective.
    Many recipes say to use about 1 1/2 ounces. I grow my own so cost isn't an issue and I like it stronger.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Very nice! Really pisses me off that a person has to be forced to use dangerous sites and deal with shady people to get their meds. You made the right choice. Stay safe!

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Look at the terpene profiles as well. Each individual is different and will respond to the entourage effect differently
    A lot of our clients react well to high THC with moderate levels of Myrcene. Caryophylene is another good one to have available, it’s has great calming effects. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ive started using black pepper oil in some daytime capsules. Check out the terpenes in it.
    Essential Oil Composition of Four Major Cultivars of Black Pepper (Piper nigrum L.) III | Request PDF

• Like Like x 1
  14. That’s an excellent idea. Looks like lots of Pinene and Caryophylene. Should be a good mix, mellow and focused!:thumbsup:

15. I made capsules with black pepper oil last week. I also used a thca sift hash and a cbda sift hash. The dose of the black pepper oil was 2 drops per capsule.

They make me feel focused with a little speedy energy. But to my surprise they also seem to help with my seasonal alergies.

The capsules taken with a thc type capsule didnt seem to alter the effects of the thc capsule. I was curious because of black pepper's reputation for bringing down a green out buzz.

If anyone is interested i bought 2 black pepper oils for both internal and external use. The difference seems to be the extraction method. And the price.

I used the external version for a (thc/cbd) muscle rub. In this form it has a pleasent warm earthy aroma. The aroma itself seems to clear my sinuses. There is a slight warming sensation when rubbed in.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Interesting
    You might just be onto something here.

• Like Like x 1
  17. For what its worth, your husbands mileage may very.

The conflict in Ukraine and the constant news bombardment has been a significant trigger for me, but as mentioned above every vet is different.

I've found that a significant portion of how well weed helps my mental issues is directly correlated to my mindset before getting high (body effects such as pain relief seem to be unaltered by my mood.)

What I'm saying is basically if I'm having a bad day, whatever the triggering situation was, I find that if I can, take 5-10 minutes to be absolutetly alone (I typically have a tobacco cigarette in the garage as my "timer")

During this 5-10 minutes, I cry, yell, work the boxing bag, activity depends on whatever feelings that are overwhelming, I try to get as much out during this time and clear my head. I live in a realtively rural area so this typically isn't an issue for neighbors.

When thats over, I hit the bong. Sometimes I'm in a much better place after those 10 minutes, sometimes not, but when I can relax myself first, 1-2 bowls is typically all it takes to keep me solid for another 4-8 hours.

Strain typically dosen't matter to me, I prefer something close to 50/50, but that being said both have their advantages. Sativa heavy floods my brain with enough ideas and things to do that I can often forget what triggered me by the time I'm no longer high. Indica heavy I do in evenings if its bad, as usually it will put me to sleep in 30-45 min and when I wake up the next days things are typically better.

As others have mentioned above, weed is just a tool like a hammer to deal with it, for me specifically its a tool to use when I can no longer keep my mind quiet with self will and have to be in a public space. (and also for rec use when I'm happy)

However, it dosen't matter if you have the best hammer in the world, if you can't see where the nails are that you have to hit. While medications did nothing for me, conseling also helped, specifically if there is a conseler in your area trained specifically for ptsd (although any counseling can be helpful).

Over the course of a year, my wife and I had many discussions over the triggers and compulsions, and eventually, I was able to stop conseling and instead mostly deal with my issues myself and with my wife.

It was a painful process, with a lot of crying from both of us, but at the end of it all I feel our relationship has never been better as talking about.

Once again, I'm not a mental health professional, just some dude on the internet, but I feel that weed works best when combined with conseling, love and understanding (and a lot of restraint, I've said some things I truly regret to my wife while in a bad place).

I truly wish you and your husband the best of luck in dealing with this, and feel free to hit me up if you want any more details from myself or my wife about our journey to find a way that I could cope and have a more or less normal life.

Sorry for the wall of text but as I'm sure most of us in this thread know, PTSD is serious business.

18. That's the best advice in this thread so far. No matter what the medication is, it's always important to use it in conjunction with counseling. PTSD and other psychological conditions aren't something to screw around with.
    But JUST as important, PTSD isn't something to be ashamed of, especially if you're a veteran.

I'm truly glad to hear you've come a long way on the road back. I hope it just keeps getting better for you and your family, and for everyone else on here who is a veteran or asking about their loved ones who are veterans.

• Like Like x 1
  19. As others have said. Weed is a tool. I’m 100% disabled vet.

The last 2.5 years has been very bad. I get chronic migraines but have my share of ptsd.

I’ve tried a load of strains, even going to Amsterdam to really get ahold of what I was looking for. I now grow 2 plants each Summer but grew for a couple years just to practice.
    When my ptsd gets bad I put on a pair of good active noise canceling headphones, the over the ear type. The jarring noises stop and I can play relaxing or calming music that enhance good memories. That and having a daytime smoke and nighttime smoke that are good with headaches. Both are currently hydrids but if I had to choose just one I would choose chemdawg or something derived from it like Northern Lights.

As the years have passed some Sativa gives me the chance to slowly explore uncomfortable memories and make my peace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1