Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

PTSD and the Endocannabinoid system

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by akbluntz, Sep 15, 2009.

1. dunno if anything like this has been posted, but i have ptsd that i have to take clonazepam for and i thought this was an interesting article. maybe someday i'll be able to use marijuana legally here in mass for my ailments.

Power and Control: PTSD and the Endocannabinoid System
    Power and Control

My guru says the object of every adept ought to be Power and Control
    It is mine

Monday, April 10, 2006

PTSD and the Endocannabinoid System

An interesting interview with Organic Chemist Dr. Raphael Mechoulam about cannibinoids and the brain. Dr. Mechoulam was the first to synthesize THC.
    There's something called post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), which is due to upsetting memories that stay around too long. Normally, when there is trauma people slowly forget it. This is true for humans and it's true for animals. But if the animals do not have an endocannabinoid system, they do not forget bad memories, and this was shown in a paper by a German-Italian group. In collaboration with the Canadian group, we have done some work on that, and in a different model we have seen the same thing. So I expect that the endocannabinoid system is not in good shape in those post-traumatic patients, and chances are that it will work in treating them. We are just about to develop a treatment. People that have PTSD claim that the only thing that helps them is smoking marijuana, so chances are that cannabinoid treatment may help them.​
    Which is something I've been saying for the last four years. In case you missed it here is my journey. Here is a study on mice lacking the CB1 system in at least part of the brain and how that affects the decay of fear memories.

There are lots more medical uses for marijuana and its extracts than PTSD. Read the whole interview to learn more.

2. Thanks for this article, I'm definately going to read it.

I have PTSD and one of the only things that keeps it in check for me is marijuana.

3. yeah no problem man. yeah its sucks living with ptsd. if i stop smoking weed for more than 2 days i have horrific nightmares all night and wake up in cold sweats soaked. i don't know what i would do without it, probably go crazy

4. Wow, that's a very interesting find! It might explain why dogs would have been beaten by, let's say a tall white male will always run from a tall white male because they're afraid it's the same person.

just another reason to legalize! :)

5. I feel you.
    Smoking daily lets me deal with my PTSD and basically live a pretty normal life. It stops my thought process when I get caught up in it, and allows me to not panic when I need to remain calm.

I've been dealing with PTSD on my own for a very long time, marijuana is pretty much the only comfort from my PTSD that I've found.

6. yeah man, its great that people in our situation have something available that eases the stress and angst caused by ptsd. makes me feel kinda lucky in a sense

7. Out of curiosity, have you ever tried EMDR? It's supposed to be quite effective. I have been working on it, but the first part of the process is recalling your worst memories and the emotions associated with that, and I don't feel safe doing that at all.

8. hmm thats an interesting treatment method. i'm down to try anything to better my quality of life. i'll probably end up bringing this up to my therapist next time. thanks a lot man

9. You're welcome. I've heard good things.

10. More people are coming back from Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan with PTSD every day. And military suicide rates are way up. Anything that might be an effective treatment would be good....

11. i came back from war with PTSD and the of all the medications i have taken to help me cope, MJ is the only thing that helped. seriously man every night i had a gun pointed to my head to end the bad thoughts and feelings. MJ is truly a miracle drug and this government or lack of it needs to stop the BS and legalize it

12. 100% agree. I'm really glad you have something that helps.
    Thank you for your service and I wish everyone could get the treatment they need and deserve.

13. i heard of a type of treatment involving video games and virtual reality to treat ptsd in people coming back from war. maybe some of you guys should look into that, i found an interesting article on it but i can't find it at the moment

14. I am living with the PTSD issue and the VA thinks that handfuls of toxic meds will help me, but they are wrong. The only helpful med is natural and my body has natural receptor sites for it. I don't understand how we have come so far being so ignorant.

15. very true, its gotta be hell on the body switching between pharms tryin to find the one that is "right" for you. as i said, besides mj, i take clonazepam for my ptsd, ocd and anxiety and i just hate the negative side effects that don't seem to come from weed (except for shitty short term memory which klonapina and weed seem to share)

16. #16 SOB420, Sep 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2009
    I cant give any research statistics or medical explanations, but I can tell you that I suffered from PTSD for quite a long time as a result of being a victim of armed robbery and criminal confinement. Not too long after that, I was in a bad car accident, in which I was hit by a drunk driver , killing my best friend and severely injuring me. Luckily, I was able to recover from the majority of my physical injuries from both issues, but the lingering psychological effects were much more difficult to get past. I tried about 5 different daily anti-depressant/anti-anxiety meds, but they all had their own side effects that deterred me from wanting to take anything like that bc for one I was not depressed. I was definitely upset, but not ever depressed and I am not a fan of daily prescription drugs. I did have some success with xanax and klonopin, taking them just when I had significantly higher levels of anxiety, but these were definitely not something that could be used daily while I worked and went to school. The one thing that kept me sane through all of this was marijuana. While there were times when I got too high and it had the ability to intensify paranoia, this was something i was able to control through moderation and i attribute a great deal of the paranoia to me making some other poor decisions in my life at those times. As I have matured and continued on with my life, I can definitely say that I am so very thankful to herb because had I been forced to continue trying pills like paxil, wellbutrin, or zoloft, I would have been much worse off than I am now. Unfortunately, I live in a very conservative state and do not have the option to smoke marijuana legally, therefore, the paranoia will still pop up from time to time due to the persecution we face as supposedly free people. Im not saying there arent people who should treat their problems with a pill bc I believe "to each his own", but for me there's no treatment better than a nice fat bowl of a good mellow strain of dank to ease my troubled mind.

17. For some good articles about PTSD, try running a search on "Dr. Phil Leveque". Dr. Leveque happens to suffer from PTSD, so he writes on a more personal level about cannabis for PTSD than most doctors.

And of course, my list (linked below) has several articles and studies on PTSD.

Granny :wave:

18. thanks a lot man