Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

PTSD and severe anxiety

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by ReallyRed, Sep 30, 2009.

1. #1 ReallyRed, Sep 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2009
    yeah, i like to consider myself cool and calm and in control most times... but i will admit that that's not the case all the time. (yeah, i know, a part of me tells me that saying i'm cool and calm most times is a delusion.)

see, incredibly nasty personal history including sexual and mental abuse when i was a child and a complete nervous breakdown from stress about three years ago kinda steeled in me a moderate case of Post traumatic stress disorder. most days (when i'm not in panic mode) are calm but there are times when my body starts to tremble, my breathing becomes shallow and rapid and my heartrate starts to increase as a result from stressors (i can deal with minor stressors but big ones i just cannot deal with) and i just can't keep my mental faculties on par with what's expected in the world.

now, i know that Marijuana does help with these things when they're happening but i do accept that they're not able to actually fully "cure" the condition (i dont know if it's even curable or if i'll just have to learn to cope with it.) but i'm curious... for those of you that have PTSD or anxiety disorders, when you're in full on panic mode, do you find more relief from Sativa, Indica or hybrid strains? does it even matter? does the high help regardless of strain or potency?

now, i'd be interested in getting a card for medical use, however, being in canada i can't find many cases of PTSD being treated with MJ... and of the few that i have it's like a nightmare to even get the paperwork and having to go through sometimes years of trial and error with other more dangerous (read: legal) drugs that cause nasty side effects or cause other issues to crop up (one listed a high risk of stroke... yeah, how did that become acceptible?) this isn't helped by the fact that i am one of the lucky ones (sarcasm anyone?) that has come across the shortage of family doctors... how long does it usually take to have a rapport with a family doctor to get a thorough history good enough to consider this a viable treatment option?

no, i'm not just some deadhead stoner looking to find a way to smoke legally (as i'm sure my parents would think of it,) i'm genuinely looking for a way to treat this so it doesn't hang over my head anymore... basically, if i have to make the decision between MJ and being healthy, i'll choose being healthy. (being broken like this sucks hardcore.)

so, yeah... anyone have any perspectives they can share with the Canadian Medical MJ process regarding this sorta thing?

2. Lots of questions here, i will attempt to give you some guidance in the issue. My PTSD gives me very vivid flashbacks to times of sexual, physical and mental abuse at the hands of my father. I get edgy, i get nervous about things and I begin to breakout into a cold sweat. I can 100% tell you that the medical card i got a year ago has saved my life in more ways than one. I would tell you to take a heavy indica (like one of the pure hazes) if its in the evening to calm you the fuck down when it gets bad. During the day I would say w/o a doubt that WW (white widow) which is a 60% Sativa/40% Indica is your best bet. Being Sativa dominant will help you feel lifted for the day and get through the attacks that come on sometimes without warning. I stick to mostly hydrids in the day with a dominance of mostly Sativa and at night I'll knock out some Purple Haze or Chemdawg, even some OG Kush, they all are known for their lessening of anxiety and the cumulative effects of PTSD.

This is a serious disorder and the drugs you could be on are far more harmful than smoking a lil grass to calm yourself down. I live and work in LA so i have no real answers for doctors in canada, but i think a good start would be to talk to a friend who smokes and get yourself an eighth of an indica and one of sativa and do a little research on your own. IF you feel something coming on and you can medicate, do so and record how you feel. Take an active role in your illness and test yourself out for the strain, potency and method of delivery that works the best for you. In my case I hit some WW in my vaporizer then finish it off with a couch locked indica like my love Purple Haze.

There are numerous stickies that our lovely blades have taken the time out to compile lists of medicinal grade cannabis and their uses for a myriad of disorders, diseases and ailments. Look those up next and go from there, you will find many that help out anxiety and specifically PTSD.

I hope some of this helps, i currently take no pharmaceuticals of any kind for my PTSD, I rely solely on exercise, weed and yoga....all without side effects and general glaze that most patients pumped full of ambien and xanax have. Wishing you well and all the best. Inhale deeply and i guarantee after that first cleansing exhale things will drastically begin to get better.

one love :smoking:

3. #3 Storm Crow, Sep 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2009
    Dr. Phil Leveque has written several articles on PTSD and cannabis- he suffers from PTSD from WWII. Run a search on his name and PTSD.

Go over to Treating Yourself A nice little Canadian MMJ site with folks who can help walk you through the process (finding a friendly doctor, etc).

In the meantime here are some studies and articles for you.

Israel to soothe soldiers with marijuana
    NewsMine.org - Israel to soothe soldiers with marijuana

Study: Marijuana Eases Traumatic Memories
    cannabisnews.com: Study: Marijuana Eases Traumatic Memories

Medical Marijuana: PTSD Medical Malpractice
    Medical Marijuana: PTSD Medical Malpractice - Salem-News.Com

Cannabis for the Wounded - Another Walter Reed Scandal
    LP: Cannabis for the Wounded - Another Walter Reed Scandal

PTSD and Cannabis: A Clinician Ponders Mechanism of Action
    CCRMG

Cannabis Eases Post Traumatic Stress
    CCRMG

Endocannabinoids extinguish bad memories in the brain
    International Association for Cannabis as Medicine

Natural high helps banish bad memories
    Natural high helps banish bad memories - 31 July 2002 - New Scientist

The use of a synthetic cannabinoid in the management of treatment-resistant nightmares in posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
    The use of a synthetic cannabinoid in the manageme...[CNS Neurosci Ther. 2009] - PubMed Result

Hope that helps!

Granny :wave: